New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, August 30, 2013

From Dragonfly: Kosher Fare Not So Fair

While I had done all that work in advance of my coming here to ensure my kosher meals, they had no record of it when I arrived. However, since I'd been insistent on it since day 1, they did give it to me temporarily and then I met with the Chaplain who asked me a bunch of questions about my religious needs and why I wanted a kosher meal. I was immediately put officially on the list. Here in prison, the kosher meal is actually referred to as "common fare." Many people, not just someone who is Jewish is on the diet - including many women who are Muslim. We wait the 40 minutes in meal line (that's the top amount, but there's always a line) and then when we get into the dining hall, we go to a different line for "medical diets." There, we sign a book and are given our kosher tray. There is a 5 week schedule for the "common fare." In total there are 15 different meals plus basic breakfasts. The 5 week schedule has the 15 meals spread out with only some consistencies - Friday night is meatloaf night. Saturday lunch is tuna. Saturday dinner is pb&j sandwiches. Any "hot" meals in the "common fare" are served in tv dinner type trays that are double wrapped by Glatt Kosher. We take our trays to a single microwave and have to heat up our own dinner with the wrapping still on it so everything cooks right. It takes about 6 minutes to heat up. With one microwave, we can wait in a new line for up to 18 minutes depending on how many folks with trays are in front of us. By the time my food is heated up and I sit down, South (the woman I usually go to eat with) has already gotten her food at the food line, sat down, and eaten her meal. South tries to eat slow, but sometimes they rush us off because there are just too many inmates here trying to get in - ergo the long entrance line.

The bigger issue, though, is actually what they serve. While there is a 15 meal rotation, I have only received 5 different meals in the last week and a half. They are "out" of all the other foods. So, I look at my menu each day, look forward to what it says if for a meal (hot dogs and franks, spaghetti and meatballs, veggie stuffed cabbage) and instead my tray comes out and on it is a can of sardines, 3 slices of bread, an apple, and sometimes a bag of chips. Sardines?!?!?! I do not like sardines. However, they are out of so many of the meals, that sardines is their regular meal replacement. I've been handed a tray with sardines 5x since arriving on the 19th. I have forgone my meal of sardines 5x as well. Often my meal consists of iceberg lettuce off the salad bar (all the salads are just iceberg lettuce, nothing more) and dressing. Yes, I am losing weight, but I am also lacking protein or proper nutrition.

Yesterday, I sent a "cop out" (request to staff) to the chaplain to talk about the Kosher fare. I explained that I simply cannot eat most of the meals and need to discuss options. I hope to hear back soon with a "call out" (appointment). Otherwise, I just may have to go to the main line. I can avoid foods I won't eat there and ensure I get veggies and protein. There are definite benefits to the Kosher meals - smaller portion sizes (more reasonable), fruit every meal, bread every meal, and of course the certainty that the food is made from the right products. However, if sardines are the choice, then I am not sure I have really have a choice!

In my opinion the Kosher fare is not exactly fair. Others love it. They love sardines. They love the fresh fruit. They don't mind the microwave line. They enjoy eating the same thing day after day. Two days ago, the main line had chef salads - real salads with tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. I was given sardines. Since I get the kosher fare, I can not get the main line fare at all. So, with eyes wide open, I stared at everyone enjoying their chef salads and said to myself, "Okay, maybe this Kosher fare thing is just not for me." We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: