New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

From Dragonfly: When Heroes Fall

A difficult day yesterday. Although, I will start with the positive. I started my job "trying out" at Education to be a GED tutor. I helped women aged 19-68 write introduction paragraphs for essays. It was fun, but hard not "being" the teacher or looking at the program from my educational research brain. I hope I am selected to be one of the permanent tutors. I do a day with them again tomorrow.

That could not outweigh the emotions of the day, however. Starting at lunch... SARDINES!!! AGAIN... So, as I understood based on a conversation earlier in the day with the chaplain, I went to the main line to get some chicken and rice. Next thing you know, an officer pulls me out of line and starts yelling at me. He pulls me to the side and asks the main dining guy to assist him at degrading me publicly for going to the main line when I am supposed to be on the "common fare." I explained that they are out of the meals and I have been served Sardines 5 of the last 7 days and spaghetti and meatballs 4 of the days. They called me a liar, even though I was not lying. They were out of food and only got a new shipment yesterday. I guess meals were going to start following the menu last night (I wouldn't know, because as soon as they made me put an entirely full tray of decent food on the dish washing counter, I did not go back yesterday). I went immediately back to the chaplain to once again (3rd time) talk about the lack of meals available for Kosher inmates. But, what can they really do?!?! So, I officially withdrew from the Kosher meals and then I broke down in tears. Luckily, the chaplain (of course) had actual tissue on her desk (what a concept!). She closed her door and I said, "I'm so stupid crying about food. I just want some protein." I said I'm not supposed to cry here. She told me that it was ridiculous that I could not cry. I am a woman, in a messed up place. Very true. I walked out of the main building wondering how soon this place will officially "break me." I ate some basic commissary fare in my room before having to get my head together and return to education for the afternoon class.

Okay, so my day starts to get a little better. I'd put some protein in my stomach and started to get passed the fact that I may actually get a "shot" (in trouble) for having taken food from the wrong line... until mail call. The first letter I receive is from my advisor, Dr. P., I'm excited that she decided to write me and I open it immediately... to see a letter informing me that she has read my indictment and no longer will act as my academic advisor or mentor. She said that our relationship is "irreparably damaged." I never lied to her about anything and an indictment (as we all know) is not fact. But, she decided I am not fitting to work with her anymore. She cc'd the heads of my academic department. I'm sure they have now read the indictment as well. My academic future now remains unknown. Tears again - this time in the safety of my bed.

I have to admit that 19 additional pieces of mail were given to me yesterday - wow! They were all loving, supportive, funny, and wonderful. I laid on my bed and read every single one. Here's one letter telling me I am dirt and 19 telling me I am loved and supported. Yet, we cannot change where our minds go - that I can only think of the one negative even among so much positive. This is the time for the serenity prayer. Keeping in mind what is and what is not changeable at this moment, I must only worry about today and TODAY, I can do nothing. Acceptance will come. I am going back to school. As of right now, I am still a student and I've done nothing to violate my right to continue to be one. I do not know what the future looks like, but do any of us? Keep doing the next right thing... read and distract myself... spend time with the few here, like South, who truly understand. One day at a time.

11 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. It is times like this that tests the theory of whether or not one truly believes/practice in life antedotes like the serenity prayer and my personal goal of believing that "everything happens for a reason and I have to be patient to see what the reason is". Why does the mind want to ignore overwhelming positive in lieu of 1 awful situation. I think we are just conditioned that way. I hope with all my positive might that you look back on that 1 advisor and realize it was the step needed to get you to where you are eventually SUPPOSED to be. I'm great dual for your post. I'm headed to Aliceville myself for a 3 year self improvement vacay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting to happen when the faculty found out that you hadn't been forthcoming with what actually occurred. I think maybe you should spend a little more time while behind bars, actually focusing on what put you there and the irreparable damage you have caused for so many others, and a little less time on whining about sardines and mattresses. Also, I'm really hoping that the title of this entry is not in reference to YOU as a fallen HERO. I'm going to just pretend I'm wrong in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know why so many people believe that someone's personal life is any of their business. If I was a student I would expect people to be concerned with my academic life and not my personal life. I do not feel that every person we come across needs to know us like an open book. Some people are too closeminded to accept the fact that some people make mistakes and can change who they are. I hope you never make a mistake in your life and if you do hopefully you find yourself surrounded by people who are more tolerant than you.

      Delete
    2. I second this!! Talk about judging people without knowing the WHOLE STORY.

      Delete
    3. I second the original entry. You lied. You know it.

      Delete
  3. To try to make you (or anyone else) change your mind about what happened seems next to impossible, but I want to say this: You were not forthcoming, truthful, or anything else that you claim to your community at your PhD program. You lied to us. You tried to pull the wool over our eyes, and unfortunately, some of us were smarter than you thought and found out the truth. You deserve what's coming your way. If Dr. P's decision is to no longer associate with you, advise you, and have contact with you (and if she/he let the department know what REALLY happened), that's her call (and her right). Stop projecting blame on others and focus on the fact that your actions caused a facility to close and a lot of people to not get what they deserve.

    And don't even try to tell me that I "don't know the whole story" or that an indictment isn't fact. You know what you did, whether you will ever come forward with the real truth or not. I just hope that this experience really IS a learning experience and that this blog isn't just for show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance means the state or fact of being ignorant, lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.

      Delete
  4. Leave it alone already. You don't have a clue what you are talking about! Don't you have better things to do???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading this blog and feeling very sympathetic towards the writer, but the letter from her professor and now the comments from a classmate make me wonder if my sympathy is misplaced. Is there a way that Dragonfly could tell us more about what happened (or even post the indictment)? This isn't so that we can judge, but rather so we can understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perhaps our views towards Dragonfly are somewhat biased reading this blog, but I do think that she is pretty clear that she is not proud of her actions. While we may never know the nature of her crime, or the full truth, since I believe she wants to keep her anonymity, I don't think it changes how we interpret where she is now and how she is serving her time with some measure of dignity. I agree as a reader we want to know more about what happened, but I'm not sure if we'll ever know. Though I tend to believe that our sympathies can straddle both parties involved.

      Delete
  6. Since I know Dragonfly and she is my sponsor, I know what an addiction is and how it can make you do things you wouldn't dream of doing otherwise. Walk a mile in my shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: