New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Monday, October 28, 2013

From Dragonfly: Two Realities

My mom has been good at sending me a couple books to read to help the time go by... unfortunately, I read the books in a couple of days and then seek out more reading. Anyway, two books that she recently sent me, I'd like to mention here. The first is John Grisham's novel, "The Racketeer." I had no idea what the book would be about. However, once I read the first line (about once being an attorney but now being in federal prison), I was shell-shocked... was this book going to be my story??

Well, no, it is not my story at all. The main character is a male and in a federal prison camp. There are a lot of differences in our daily prison lives, just for those two differences. At the same time, Grisham does an EXCELLENT job of describing life in federal prison, the prison system, and the main character's couple months at an FCI (similar to where I am now). I've already shared the book with South and Freckles, and we are all like, "wow, he really did his research on what our lives are like!" However, just like when I read "1L" before my first year of law, all people's experiences are unique, so don't get hung up on the specifics.

Another book I just read (compliments of my mother) is "The Storyteller" by Jodi Piccoult. This book I highly, highly recommend!!! Anyone who knows me, knows I am a big Piccoult fan. Every book of hers is totally unique and she does the most incredible research into her characters. They are multi-dimensional and the reader understands the conflicted lives of the characters. Piccoult knows how to tell a great story!

This book, however, was the perfect read for me while in prison. I don't want to give away too much of the storyline, but it surprisingly becomes a novel about the Holocaust. The story told, with vivid detail, gives insight to life in the German prison camps (nothing like the U.S. federal prison camps we have here and now). It was actually a reality check for me. I have SO MUCH to be grateful for! I am fed three meals a day (even if I do not enjoy them - they sustain me). I have clothing that is clean. I have access to some health care (even if it is mediocre). I have my own bed. I get paid for my work, rather than just rations (even if it is $0.12/hour). Only a couple of people faint in front of me each week (there, they were dying). I know that I will be heading home. That is the thing to be most grateful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: