New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, December 6, 2013

From Dragonfly: Sleet

So, what happens in Fort Worth when it is cold, sleeting rain, and a  bit icy outside? Everything closes down. They are not prepared for weather like this, like we are in the Midwest. This morning, I was prepared to go to breakfast at 6:30am, when I noticed that no one had been released for breakfast yet (usually open at 6am). So, I waited with a friend and they made NO announcements... Then, at 7:30am, they released us to breakfast, pill line, and email. The rest of the compound is closed. I was all ready for work today. The facilities and landscaping employees (also inmates) are working hard outside in large snow suits, shoveling the heavy ice-snow off the roads and side walks. I'm glad that's not my job!!!!

I have no idea what this day will bring... whether the compound will open later... whether I will work this afternoon... how I will get my Friday enbryl injection (even the clinic is closed)... whether I will leave my unit at all, when I leave email...

The good news, is that I have plenty to do. I am working on sending out the holiday cards I made (yes, they are dorky, but made with love). I am halfway through two different crochet projects. I have several books to read. So, if this weather lasts the full weekend, I am set. I even have a couple mugs worth of hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows, just in case!! Oh, and I bought long underwear, so I am comfortable in my unit with my shorts and shirt over the long underwear (it makes quite the fashion statement, but it's what everyone else is wearing too).

It's amazing to hear the responses about the snow from people who have spent their lives in the south. I'm afraid they will think it appropriate to make snow balls... but this is icy snow and it will HURT. It is perfect for making a snowman, but there's not that much of it, and we are not allowed on the grassy areas... maybe it can happen by outside rec sometime today. I'd participate in making a snowman if I had gloves, but I do not. I don't even own a scarf. Both are available at commissary, but I hadn't bought them (I was wearing shorts outside just 4 days ago).

Well... I'm going to med surge for the first time to see how I get my enbryl injection. I pray they can give it to me, or I will not be out of my bed much this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: