New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

From Dragonfly: Nicknames

I've had a lot of nicknames over my life. Some were just a shortened part of my name, others were given to me based on a personal characteristic. In fact, I lived under a nickname, given to me in law school, for more than a decade. I now live by my given name - a name that is a bit too common and is even shared by someone mildly famous. In fact, I almost was not given an interview for a job once, because they thought I could be her and they couldn't imagine why she would be applying at the place. I highly recommend, those of you yet to name your children, be mindful of famous names and don't name your kids after someone well known. Figure that "Tom Cruise," "Barbara Streisand," "Barry Manilow," "Jennifer Anniston," and "Henry Winkler," are already out of contention when naming your child. Actually, the person I share my name with (she's actually not the only one), wasn't well known when I was being named. We are probably less than a decade apart in age.

Anyway, I mention nicknames, because I've been surprised by the nicknames I've obtained since being imprisoned. While everyone is really called by the first name by all the other inmates, and by their last name by staff, I still find that people want to make up nicknames for folks. The first nickname I was aware I'd picked up was "Velma." I was named this by several women in my unit who were watching "Scooby Doo" and decided I looked like that character. I try to explain that I'm cuter, not as smart, and certainly heavier than the Scooby Doo character, but none the less, they think I look like her. They also think I'm incredibly smart. I'm glad I put off that vibe, even if I know that intelligence is not just one thing... I'm good at some things and not so good at others. If they were to call me a "nerd," I'd fully agree! Nonetheless, people weekly walk up to me and ask me if I knew that I looked like Velma. Total strangers ask me this. In fact, someone just asked me this morning. Well, okay, that's a new one for me.

The next nickname I picked up, that I'm aware of, is "Garfield." I'm not quite sure why everyone wants to name me after cartoon characters. I'm not quite that animated. It started with my education co-workers. I admit it, I'm neurotic and sometimes I, also, say things before I actually think about what's coming out of my mouth. People laugh at me. Curls started the nickname, saying I'm like "Garfield," then Freckles joined in. Freckles now gives me cut out Garfield cartoons and says, "see just like you!" I find it funny, a little annoying, but funny nonetheless. They are certainly teasing me in an affectionate way, so I have no reason to mad at the nickname.

The third nickname is one I'm not proud of. Someone in my unit said that she's going to call me, "Pigeon Sex Voyeur." It's because all the pigeons are in mating season right now and the ritual I find fascinating.... the male pigeon chasing around the female pigeon. Finally, the female will stop running. They may touch beaks (kiss). He gets on top of her for like seconds. Then he comes off. They touch beaks. Then he gets on her again. I became fascinated by the number of male pigeons chasing down the same females. My curiosity led me to wonder if chicks could come from multiple male birds (like how a dog can have pups from multiple male dogs at the same time). If my curiosity makes me a voyeur, it'd be the first time EVER I was considered one. It's just a funny thing to watch and I see that I'm not the only one. Luckily, it does not appear that this nickname has caught on at all.

I'm not all that worried what anyone chooses to call me. When I lived my life by a nickname for more than a decade, I became someone different, the nickname would in the end be connected to my life of addiction. I like nicknames, find them cute (usually). I just don't get too caught up in them anymore. I am who I am, and any nickname I am given or choose for myself, will not ever change who I am again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: