New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

From Dragonfly: Seeing Blue

Most of the time in prison, you don't see outside life coming across the fences. Other than seeing some women from the camp doing their thing, we rarely see anything else. This weekend, though, life is happening everywhere and we get to watch in awe.

The base is hosting an air show and the Blue Angels are here as part of it. In upper 80 degree weather, we are all turning red like lobsters as our faces face up and over the trees to see parachutes (one yesterday had an American flag as he/she fell to the earth), planes flying upside down, water vapor making hearts and circles, and other designs, and formations that are so close it's impossible to imagine how the planes are not touching wings. I imagined "bumper planes" that somehow could bounce off one another and still stay flying.

For the most part, honestly, the air show is boring from our view point. A lot seems to happen below the tree line. It doesn't stop us from watching for a glimpse of something amazing; something that can remind us that there's life out there that we get to return to (some soon, some not so soon).

I'd never seen so many inmates outside at one time before (other than our many fire drills). People were everywhere on the compound sitting in groups and enjoying the sun or shade. I even did some things I hadn't done here before. I played a couple games of horseshoes. Then, I tried Bocce Ball for the first time.

Everyone was out near me - Lola, Freckles, Red (who is living up to her name with the day's craziest sunburn), Taz, Nurse, Curls, and so many others. If we didn't see the fences, it could have been a large family picnic. The mood was generally positive. People played kickball and softball. Small picnic feasts included chips, candy, and a lot of ice cold water.

After my bad news this weekend, it was a perfect day for the most part. I did sneak in, while most were still out, and was able to talk with my father. His voice is very hoarse. He received the pictures of myself I sent him. He has double vision now due to the tumor, so he has double of me with him right now. One of my pictures sits with him at the hospital. They are releasing him for at least a short time tomorrow. We will know if anything can prolong his life in less than a week. I hope that he and his wife get a chance to take that Mediterranean Cruise that they've been planning for several years. Those are the things one should do when they know that time is suddenly shorter than expected. I have seen two of the seven new "natural wonders of the world." If I knew my time was short, I would want to see the remaining five... and perhaps the 7 'man-made' wonders of the world, as well.

It's not my time yet, thank god, so for now, I'll just keep looking up... the Blue Angels fly again this afternoon. Perhaps that is another check off my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: