New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

From Dragonfly: Out Date Update

Okay, I have some news - nothing definite for sure - but it's progress. Yesterday, my case manager and I finally reached someone at the right region and they had NOT started processing my paperwork for release yet. When my case manager informed him that I am supposed to be heading to home confinement on May 28th, I think my file just rose to the top. Here's what we did learn, though:

Since I am still a med care level 3, my file must go through a doctor on their end first. The doctor can either decide that I can go to home confinement or that I am not eligible for home confinement due to my health concerns. The thing is, I have no idea what my file says about my health. I've already been denied halfway house and camp due to my health - but I am able to work, I am active, and I don't need any assistance in giving myself my medication or taking care of my daily needs. According to BOP policy, I should be a care level 2, but here, for whatever reason they give, I am a care level 3. This extra point in care level could mean, for some people, still being denied home confinement, if the region's doctors (who have never seen you) make a determination that you are not medically qualified. Once again, I wish I just stopped all my medication for the time I was here and, somehow, got my medical care level down to a 1 or 2. I have no idea how my body would have fared, but the bureaucracy for people with medical conditions is crazy!

So, once the doctor "approves" me for my home confinement, my file will also have to go back to my P.O., who will again be required to visit my home. My case manager was surprised by this, because we submitted a letter approving my home residence by the P.O. with my exit packet.

Once the P.O. approves the home, again, my packet goes to the halfway house, which will be a different one that I originally was told (different region and all). I was told that I will spend 1-3 days at the halfway house and then go to my home. Since I am released on a Wednesday, if my May 28th date holds true, I will likely head home on Friday or the following Monday. The halfway house has to ensure they have a bed for me, so actually three different halfway houses are consulted by the region, and I will be placed in the one that is closest to my home that also has a bed on or near my date... if the halfway house is full, or all of them are full, then the date can be extended until a bed opens up.

So, how long does all this take? Usually, at least the 26 days I mentioned before, but can be longer, much, much longer. Since we talked to the guy at my region, yesterday, he promised to start the process on me today. I pray no one is on vacation and he can expedite the process. He told my case manager that they could still make the May 28th date IF they can get everything done by 10 days prior to that date... so we have just over a week... I say "go forth and make it happen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: