New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Not on My Timeline

I put it out there on Facebook this morning... today was the deadline. It really is a deadline. Today is the absolute deadline for hiring Fall graduate assistants at the University. My job kept waiting to hear that the hold on my admission had been lifted, but the call/email never came. I learned this afternoon that the news will not come for another several days, we can stop waiting, the deadline will pass us by. What it means for my job, I don't know. Grad assistants are supposed to technically start Monday under contract. My benefits are supposed to start the 16th. Since I am not technically a student, I cannot be hired and I cannot be paid, nor can I earn any of the other benefits of a graduate assistant. It won't stop me from coming to work everyday. It's just going to make a lot more work for my supervisor and the organization's secretary to process me in once they are able to. I have no idea what it will look like, how long it will take, and what it will all mean, but I am not giving up hope!

I guess I look at all this stuff and must look at the bright side - I have not been told that my admission is being denied. All I am told is that it is on "hold." It is not on hold indefinitely. It has left the graduate school, now, and sits before a "committee" who is assigned to make a decision on every graduate student who applies to the University with a felony in their background. At this point, I am being held up against the same principles and rules as every other 'similarly situated' applicant, I guess I'm really okay with that. Perhaps I'm more, or perhaps I'm less of a scary character than others. Who knows?!?! Well, in reality, I'm not sure I could be more harmless than I am, but whatever it is they choose to consider from my file, will be fine. With multiple people on a committee, I pray it's not just an arbitrary decision. I should know early next week.

I have no idea if anyone reading this even cares if I get back into school or not. I don't even know why anyone reads this blog at this point. I sometimes feel like I am partially fighting this fight for all of us with felonies and/or addictions in recovery. I want us to be able to say that we do not need to be defined by our pasts. We watch famous people be able to move on and forward so easily from these things, but lay people are never given the benefit of the doubt. We need to constantly prove ourselves and defend our choices. We always have more and more hoops to jump through. The fight is exhausting, but if I can do, and if I can succeed, than I can be proof that others can do it too. We need some of us willing to jump through all the hoops in order to help others know that they just need to keep jumping. So, I'm jumping, and jumping, and jumping. I started jumping at Carswell and I had no idea how fit I'd need to be to continue to jumping once I was home.

There are so many times when I see dead end ahead warnings. Somehow, though, my gut tells me to just forge ahead, there may be a yield, but I can get past the roadblock. Perseverance, passion, belief, honesty, drive, character, humility, gratitude, acceptance, patience, and focus can help a lot. I do my best to never doubt the end goal. I am going to school in Fall. I am working this job. I may be on "hold," but that's just a formality, and it's only temporary. It's just another hoop. I will be going, I am just not able to do it all on my timeline.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog everyday to see how your life is turning out after Carswell. It is heart warming to see that you are keeping a positive attitude and moving on. Good things come to those who wait and have Hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I care if you get into school or not I'm on the edge of my seat an trying hard to not look forward on the blog to see just because I am behind. But I keep you in my prayers. :-) An your still writing because obviously you enjoy it an are great at it an because somewhere you are helping people out there have hope weather it be with an addiction or with a felony or both or in other areas of life. You have a lot ot offer in your writing. So keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now that this comment posted I will rewrite the one I just tried to post on your blog poat from several days ago. It was your post about your car. First of all I started reading your blog before you were sent to Carswell an continued reading while you were there. At some point I went to read an it said blog not available. I checked back several times an same thing. So I was so disappointed that I couldn't see how you were doing. I love in Ft Worth by the way :-) And yes it gets terribly hot here! Anyway a couple of months ago I was wondering about you an saying I hope she is home an doing well. I checked the blog an was excited to see I was able once again to get on an read. You are such an inspiration an your journey has been one of many ups an downs. I applaud you for the courage to share your life with others. I'm sure there are so many this blog helps in many ares. I love your writing, I feel excitement when good things happen for you an I feel crushed inside when bad things happen. An irritated when I read some comments such as how you misspelled there or their! Or the comment on your vehicle post. Just know that those people are missing the big picture. You have more than paid for your crime as far as I'm concerned. Prison time was so not needed to be added. There are so many people who received probation for heinous crimes against children even so it appalling to me that you were made to suffer thru what you did at Carswell. I thought of you each time I drove past the building with the lights in downtown that you were able to see crom Carswell. I hope you continue to share your story as I for one now feel as if I have known you personally. And I cheer you on in your daily struggles. Your a good person. You were given a punishment an you are suffering thru it daily an always will due to having a felony on your record but the things your able to do amaze me along with your attitude. And I hope that others in similar situations can do the same an know that there is life out there even with addiction an felonies. You should not feel like you have to explain to anyone what type of car you drive an why. Enjoy your vehicle with the bells an whistles an play with those bells an whistles extra tonight because you deserve it! Big hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: