New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Positive Energy of Others

Yesterday, a friend from where I used to live came to visit. She arrived in town just prior to the Friday night GA meeting. That's okay, though, because that's how we met - sitting across the table at a GA meeting. It was her that I always looked to when people said to find people within the rooms who represent what you want your recovery to look like. She was happy, attractive, married, intelligent, kind, forgiving, and just emitted off this positive energy that made her someone approachable to all. I was so devastated at the time - but down the road, I wanted my life to look like hers.

We quickly became friends and along the way she assisted me with some of my step work as well as always just been a good person that always brought a smile to my face. Even though longish periods of time may pass when we do not talk, we are always there for each other, like extended family who genuinely care. 

Sporty and she feel very much the same way. So we were immensely pleased that she chose to come out and visit for a night. It started with the meeting, then Thai food, then sitting on the couch for hours catching up, then laughing at YouTube videos, then sleep. This morning we walked to a cafe and sat over beverages and a light snack and talked for a couple more hours until she had to goon the many hour trip back home.

I told her that the 20 or so hours she was here will leave behind an energy that will carry with me for quite a while. She still is that person. Life is not perfect for her. It never has been as it is not for any of us. She is just one of those positive spirits in this world that just feels great to be around. Today, I may not be everything she was or is when I sit at a GA table, but I know that I am one of those positive voices. I learned a lot of it from her. It was a wonderful visit and a quick one and I'm so very happy she came!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: