New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Secret Wish

I haven't mentioned this here before. The timing never seemed quite right. I mean, how does one admit that despite all their troubles in the world, they still hope to be called, "mommy," some day? Back on Mother's Day, I wrote about three amazing children I co-parented for a couple years prior to my gambling recovery and who were never mine legally. Walking away from them broke my heart into a million pieces. T.S. has been a wonderful light as a "step" daughter through the past six years. 

I've always wanted to adopt, though, especially out of foster care. I've always wanted to make a forever family with a child who never knew what a parent's love could really be like. Due to my need to have a hysterectomy at 35, I can't have my own, and honestly there are so many kids being raised in foster homes, so that's the direction I want to go.

The big question is, though, am I allowed to adopt? I don't mean just now, during supervision, but even after, as a felon? My crime had nothing to do with children, but an extensive background check is done. I've read the laws and I can only see that they do the background check, not the exact offenses that would disqualify me. In some states, it seems any felony would disqualify an offender. 

I think it's crazy, because if I happened to have a uterus, and I got pregnant, I'd be allowed to raise my child. However, since I can only adopt, I may not be allowed to.  Obviously, I agree that some crimes should keep people from adopting - as we need to protect the children. Any crimes against children or sex crimes of any type at the very least - perhaps also any domestic violence... 

I'm a firm believer in second chances, though. In this case, we aren't only talking about a second chance for me, but also for a child who may be able to have a forever family with me. I've been permitted to work at an organization that helps at risk youth, I have a history of working with youth, I pray that in the future I will also finally have a home full of my own youth!

1 comment:

  1. I think you would be an awesome mom! An do check into the foster care program. Because you may be surprised to find out the qualifications. Not sure on your state but in others you would qualify.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: