New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Felons Right to Vote

A lot of people are usually surprised to learn that congress left it up to the states to decide whether a person with a prior felony has a right to vote - in state and federal elections. Seems odd, felons in one state are allowed to vote for the U.S. President, but felons in another state are not. This year, of course, is not about who will run the country, so much, as who will run the state, local judiciaries, seats in the U.S. house and senate are up for grabs, but as an "off" year, less people will vote than during a "presidential" year.

It's sad, really. Around my campus, the 'get out the vote' campaign was just not that large compared to two years ago when everyone was talking about the election. I hate to admit that I don't even think T.S. is registered to vote (if you are T.S., I'm sorry to say I don't know that you are)... it would have been her first election. People are just not that excited to vote. No one has them talking that much in our state - although they should - our current governor should be ousted - but most people don't even know the person's name running against him. It's so sad!

Like so many others, I HATE all the political ads. I fast forward them, turn a blind eye to them, just generally get so sick of them. But, I still do my homework. I bring up voting guides on my computer and read non-partisan guides to the polls - what do the candidates write to the questions asked? I must admit, I vote a democrat ticket. I will not vote for a republican, because I am not a one-issue voter - and I cannot vote for someone who will go the party line on so many issues that I am against. However, some things - like referendums, judicial candidates, etc are nonpartisan, so I have to read the voter guides to see what the real arguments are and see who is endorsing each side. That gives me a much better understanding of the issue. Sometimes things are written in such a way that we vote the exact opposite of what we mean to vote on an issue. I don't want to accidentally do that. Every vote counts!!

So, why am I doing this? Because I gratefully happen to live in a state that allows felons to vote. It's one of the first things I looked up when I realized I would have a felony to my name. There are so many people in this world who have no rights to say who leads their country's, who reigns over them, who declares the laws of their land, who sits on their judicial benches, etc. We have a right that we take for granted. It wasn't so long ago that women did not have that right. African Americans did not have that right. The disenfranchised in this country have fought so hard for the right to vote. We cannot take it for granted. I am a felon and I have a right to vote and I will vote in every election - big or small because I can!!! My vote matters. My experiences help me be a more knowledgable voter. I'm grateful to have this right!

Whether you have always had the right or not --- go out and vote today!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: