New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Scaling Down

It's hard to imagine my life prior to incarceration. I lived in a two bedroom, two full bathroom apartment to myself. Every storage space was full of my stuff and I hoarded even more in corners, on desks and shelves, and in cabinets. I had stuff. I've always complicated my life carrying around boxes of things for that rainy day I may want to have them.

I cleared out many of those things with Traveler's help before my incarceration. Many were boxed up and put in storage and then brought to where I now live with Sporty. When I moved back in here, I moved into the second bedroom all set up for me. Only a few of my most important boxes were unpacked, everything else remained boxed in the basement. Eight months later, not a single additional box has been unpacked.

There are several reasons for this. First of all, there's just no room for all my things. Unless I wanted to redo the home, I would become a true hoarder trying to fit everything somewhere. Second, I knew we would be moving at some point, so I'd go through it then. Finally, other than a couple things I really missed, I honestly had no idea what I was missing!

So sad, a life of collecting things and unless they are in front of me, I forget they even exist. Honestly, I learned to appreciate having far less "things" while incarcerated. The most important items in those boxes are photos, a couple items from my travels abroad, and journals. There's also some artwork I appreciate.

So, for the next several weeks Sporty and I have a deal. As long as we are in town (I will be out of town for spring break), we will empty at least one box per day. Many items are going to Goodwill, others are being resorted into boxes for our moves, and many trash bags are being filled. Every box is going through a full inspection and being emptied. So far we have gone through seven boxes and have not even fully packed three new ones. That is progress.

Books may always be the item I have the hardest time getting rid of. I just have an affinity for the written word, especially books I loved reading. They are such a hassle to haul around, but every one is a treasure. I'm trying to practice giving one away for every one I keep. I suppose that is progress as well.

I hope we can continue to make progress at these steps toward pairing down a bit. It can be hard at times. The end result is a much simpler life. I certainly can handle that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: