New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

According to Probation Services...

I was wondering what official policy is around early release from supervision. I suppose it should surprise none of us that there is a lot of discretion on the part of those in power (not us) to decide who is considered and who is not for early release:

"Can I get off of Federal supervision early?
The short answer is generally yes, if certain conditions are met.  According to federal statue, all offenders are eligible for early release after one year of supervision.  However, it is the decision of the sentencing judge. Some sentencing judges will not grant early release if a significant downward departure was given at the time of sentencing. Others will not consider it until you have reached 1/2 to 2/3 of the your supervised release sentence. Some districts will grant an early termination with an outstanding fine or restitution balance, if payments have been made as ordered during the period of supervision. Other districts will not consider anyone for early termination as long as there is any outstanding debt to the court. A request for early release can be generated by the officer after they have examined your role in the offense, the nature and severity of your offense and criminal history, your compliance under supervision, how any of your codefendents were handled, and if the U.S. Attorney has an objection to early release. This process takes a little while, and again underscores the importance of compliance on supervision and a good working relationship with your officer."

I have not heard back from my P.O. I was supposed to hear by Friday. Either he forgot, did not hear back from the prosecutor in my case, or was just telling me what I wanted to hear. If I don't hear from him by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll be calling him again,

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to see this blog come to an end. I have nothing in common with you yet somehow your story pulled me in. I enjoyed "connecting" with you and even imagined that you knowing there were people out there invested in your story was helping you get through one more day. I hope that you aren't posting because your !life is so full that you decided to leave this story in the past and not because you're too ill or unable to. Wishing you much luck and success and hoping 2016 is full of good life, good fortune and LOVE. - DebiNJ

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: