New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A call with my public defender

As my time of freedom narrows, I am planning goals for each day to prepare. Some are rather small, some much larger. I just need to get it all done, best I can, and try not to procrastinate. At the same time, I need to keep studying, keep doing my job, and my other responsibilities. Even though I got a prison sentence, it does not give me the excuse to stop being responsible or moving forward.

My most important business today was a phone call with my public defender. So, you may ask... She was a public defender, did I get a good defense? Well, I think I got better than my money's worth. She was good... Not great. She didn't really try to understand me / gambling addiction or to defend me, but she did advocate for my needs at times, she respected my GA program, and she always returned my emails and calls. Since I paid nothing for her, I can not complain.

Today's call, however, was important, and it is an important lesson to anyone going through legal issues: ALWAYS READ YOUR LEGAL PAPERS! I hadn't received the sentencing documents from my hearing on Friday and so I asked for them yesterday. I read through them thoroughly. The judge failed to cross off a recommendation by the prosecution that after prison camp, I have 6 months radio frequency monitoring. The judge made it clear on friday that she didn't think that was necessary. But there it was, still in my document. At first my attorney told me that it doesn't matter because it isn't "checked," but neither were any of the other requirements that the judge is ordering (like 3 years supervision). I don't think my attorney was very happy because this is a real error that must be fixed meaning more hours. More work for her.

 My overall advice on public defenders - be nice to them. Say "thank you." Tell the truth. Write out your story, all of it, and give it to them. Let them "know" you. Think through a plea agreement. Always ask questions. Write your questions down and build them up so you can ask them all at once. It's okay to show emotion with your attorney. Listen to their advice, but it is only advice. It is okay to think something over. Get a copy of everything and keep a copy of everything (electronic okay). Get to know the attorney's assistant/paralegal, there are many things they can get you quicker. Give them as much advance warning of travel plans, medical needs, etc. bring someone with you when you talk to your atty to help you remember what was said. Fill out and mail forms on time. Dress appropriately, but you do not have to wear a suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: