New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Monday, October 21, 2013

From Dragonfly: Making Bracelets

I'm a hustler. I've never been a hustler, but it appears I am one. The other day I was making some "friendship style" bracelets out of embroidery string. It is a "talent" I've had due to my camp days. I make them in two styles. I decided to make some for Star's daughters. I was bored. Other people saw me doing it and asked, "how much do you charge?" Ummm, nothing. That makes a bad hustler, but it's against the rules to sell items for commissary here. It doesn't stop anyone, though. It's how many people here get goods from commissary. For example, a painted mug may cost a jar of peanut butter, a package of cookies, some tuna, and a ranch dressing. A Christmas stocking (more expensive) may cost a 6-pack of soda, chips, taco meat, mozzarella style cheese, and a raine of yarn. All these exchanges for goods are against the rules, but people do them to survive. My bracelets are popular, and I need to purchase embroidery string to make them, so they cost me money to make. It takes about 45 minutes to make a decent one, so time is involved as well. My roommate told me to charge $3 for 1 or 2 for $5. I sat on it for a day, but couldn't do it. I currently have 3 orders for bracelets, totalling 7 bracelets. They want different colors. One wants a different tying technique I've not used, but must learn. I put my crochet down to start making these (it hurts my hand way less), but I want to finish the project I've been working on there. So, I'm not sure I'll be in the business of making bracelets very long. Plus, anyone can learn to do them the same way, so competition will come (which is more than fine with me). They will likely charge the $3 per bracelet and be paid in a lot of commissary goods. That's surviving in prison.

I never thought I would have ever been part of the underground market. As you know, I've said that I will not engage in that market at all. Within weeks here, though, one realizes that they must, unfortunately, engage in activities (like food trades) they never imagined they'd do. People sneak butter out of the dining hall because they need it for their recipe, and there's no way to purchase it. People ask others to make cards for them to send to loved ones, because the lined paper and basic envelopes lack fun. People ask others to do their hair, to do their homework (unfortunately), and to do their laundry. There are even people here who get goods for making other people's beds. They bring in no money, or such little money, that they must hustle to survive. How else could they afford their deodorant or shampoo? The stuff the prison gives us is horrible. Everyone needs something and people are willing to make it or do it, to survive here as comfortably as possible. I can't say that I've never engaged on this market. There have been moments when I've needed something, or someone else has, and a choice is made. I hate that it is not possible to just get butter or not to have to choose between a meal and doing one's own laundry. But, such is reality in prison. Sometimes, the hustlers win out. It just is what it is.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there. I'm not looking forward to that stuff. I have 34 days until Sentencing. Arrrgggh. There IS a reason for everything...and I believe yours is to be there to make sure Star gets through this (medically).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Hazel. I'm looking at not having anyone to send me money while I am in there. My spouse makes $10 an hour, and that barely covers car note, light bill, and mortgage, plus monthly prescription meds. I know I can't ask for money because it won't exist. I do know how to crochet, though, and I do paint. I know how to hustle, but haven't had to do it out here in over a decade! Ugh! I'm so not looking forward to that part of it again. But like you say, it is what it is. I am currently 12 hours into my MBA, and it breaks my heart to hear all this crappy stuff your school is doing to you! I'm hoping to use my undergrad courses, of which many will fulfill the state's LCDC licensure req's and my actual Bachelor's to get into working in a treatment center when I get out. I hope, I hope, I HOPE! I don't want to live like this, in limbo, anymore! Anyway... I'm praying for you! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Dragonfly: In here, everything costs money and at least some initial money is necessary to get your needs met and also any supplies needed for the crafting. After that, you can be indigent, but it is tough here for those who do not receive any funds!

      Delete
    2. I know... I was pretty much indigent the whole time I was in State Jail a decade ago. Plus, I was pregnant and hungry constantly! At least I won't have that part to worry about this time. I will have money to take with me, but I will only take about $150 since I was told that the amount you take in is taken into consideration when they set your FRP. I just want to be able to get what I absolutely have to have and then have a few $50 money orders filled out and ready for my spouse to mail in when I ask for them, so I'll be able to get yarn and the right size hooks for whatever I'm working on. A decent size afghan for a bunk will take about 10 skeins of yarn... I need to keep as much as I can in my bank account for when I am released. I paid off all my credit cards so I will be able to use them for gas and clothes when I get out, until I can get a job and start bringing in some money. You know how it is... trying to plan for being gone and also for getting home. It's enough to challenge one's sanity.

      Delete

Please add your comments here: