New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, October 18, 2013

From Dragonfly: Time Management

There is no such thing as time management in prison. If I have to be at two places at the same time, I have to be there, there is no waiting until I'm done with what I am doing. Having a job, makes it nearly impossible to do everything I have to do. For example, my enbryl shots are on the call-out sheet for 7:45am on Mondays and Fridays. However, I am at work starting at 7:30 and start teaching at 7:45 am. The nurses were cool with this before, and allowed me to come in at 10:30am, when my second class leaves for the morning. It was working great. However, new nurses are doing the shots, and they will NOT be flexible. If I have to go to the 7:45am call-out, I will not be able to get to my classroom until AT LEAST 8:45am, when the next "open call" occurs. Sometimes, they don't take us for an hour, and those days, I wouldn't be able to work until 9:45. Today, since I couldn't leave my job (no one to take over my class), I have not gotten my shot. I went up there a bit ago, but was told to come back at 12:45... but I start work again at 12:30pm. It's a lose-lose situation and I hate being in it. Plus, the nurses failed to put me on the call-out today, so I can't leave work without an official call-out. So, I will probably not be able to get my shot today. :-(

These kinds of predicaments happen all the time... breakfast or laundry or commissary (all at the same hour)... medical  sick call or job responsibilities... seeing your case worker or job responsibilities... seeing your counselor or job responsibilities... Every day is a conflict. Those without jobs can go to the open house hours of medical, case workers, or counselors any time. Those with jobs cannot. Without being able to talk to them during their open house, we cannot see the status of our case, request updates, or push them to work on our files. They need us to check in with them now and then...

I always considered myself good at time management. In prison, it is an impossible skill. Somehow, we are to do magic, and be in multiple places at the same time. So instead, we must push important things to later, hoping that we will get a day off or some random time or be called out to a meeting (which rarely happens).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: