New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, November 9, 2013

From Dragonfly: Reader's Digest

I grew up in a home, where my mom got Reader's Digest monthly. After reading it, she would put it on a shelf in the den. We had a shelf full of Reader's Digest magazines. I never opened one of them to see what was inside. I have no idea if it is like it was when it started in the 1920's or if it has changed a lot over the years, but I recently received my second monthly issue, and must say, it is the perfect reading for someone in prison. Why?

It is full of laughter! This last issue had over 100 funny stories, jokes, cartoons and more. These were not "stupid" humor items, but the kind of comedy I like - smart humor. Some were so good, I laughed out loud and/or shared them with my roommates.

The reading is quick. The digest is full of short stories, articles, and and commentaries. These are easy to pick up and read while waiting in line for the clinic, waiting for stand-up count, or for some, waiting in pill line.

The magazine has a lot of content. While each story is relatively short, there's a lot of it. It's not a magazine you look through for 30 minutes and put down. For me, it took me two days to ingest all the great materials.

Speaking of which, the non-joke material is wonderful to read. They have sections of books, personal stories, and educational stories. For example, I just read a wonderful story written by a mother who lost her young son in the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. I also read a piece about 10 things that make your home a home (family, art, etc.). I read something about signs someone may have a stroke (did you know that a crease in your earlobe may be a telltale sign?). The content is interesting, covers many topics, and is well written. Even the ads are interesting (I loved one that had a thumbprint and it was full of about 100 funny sayings). Okay, I do admit, I'm dying for good entertainment and reading materials (prison sucks, if you didn't know that).

Now, I certainly do not work for Reader's Digest. I am getting no "kick-back" for this plug for the magazine. I'm just saying it may be a magazine to start re-looking at - and a great one to send loved ones in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: