New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

From Dragonfly: Minimum In/Minimum Out

Those of us who enter prison with a "minimum" security level, probably don't know that there are two levels within minimum security. One is labeled "in" and the other "out." Had we not been medically designated to the medical facility, our security level would start "minimum out" at a prison camp. However, the majority of us who are designated here, are labeled "minimum in." What does the "in" vs. "out" mean?

It's easy, first, to explain "out." "Out" is that we are camp status, can be in a non-secured environment, and can see medical providers and others off the prison grounds without being handcuffed and shackled when we go. "In," is the opposite of that. "In" means that we are designated to a secured environment, it's a higher level of security, and if we have an appointment off of the facilities grounds, we are shackled and handcuffed. Since I was designated, "minimum-in," had my referral for a rhuematology appointment occurred, I would have been handcuffed and shackled for the medical trip.

This really disturbed me. I was nervous about walking with leg shackles. I have a limp and my balance is not great, so I am concerned about the chain/cuff restrictions. However, that appointment has yet to occur (waiting 4 months so far). Many of us talk about the fact that we have to be shackled in our med-trips, as many of us, especially those who self-surrendered, have never even been handcuffed. During this entire ordeal, I have never been handcuffed, which those who were officially arrested think those of us who say that have to be lying. Our experiences leading us through the legal process are so different.

Anyway, we are all told different things on why our status starts as "minimum - in" rather than "out," since we are camp eligible except for medical reasons. Almost all of us started with "in," myself, Nurse, Freckles, Mama, etc. South is the only person I know who did not start with an "in" status, although her sentence was for only 6 months, so perhaps that's why. All of us have been asking why we have "in" status and how we can get it changed to "out." At first, I was told that anyone with a medical issue has to be evaluated before they can receive out status, and it takes about 6 months. Next time, I was told it takes about 7 months. The next time, I was told it was changed to "out" the week before because of them making me eligible for the camp across the street (this is the time I learned that I was being sent to the camp, which since has been recanted, but now may be happening again). With "minimum-in" status, we cannot go to the camp across the street, or any camp for that matter. So, for a couple weeks, now, I've been "minimum-out" (thank god).

However, several of my friends are trying to figure out how their status can be changed. From my experience, I think that the case worker can change it, but the secured facility prefers for the people here to be "in" custody security level. It validates why we are at a medium security facility, even though we are "minimum" security status. I know that this place wouldn't consider it, but it would make a lot of sense, since so many minimum security people are here for medical reasons, to have a housing unit specifically for "minimum-out" inmates. We could, therefore, have the same rights as people in a camp. However, they cannot do that, as I know in my head, how unmanageable that would be. You can't have some inmates roaming the grounds, while others have to be racked up. Instead, treating every inmate the same, is the only way to control such an uncontrollable situation.

In men's federal prisons, there are several medical facilities. They have med-camps, med-low, med - medium, and even, med-max facilities. There are several of each type. Male inmates in medical facilities are still, usually, placed within the 500 mile mark of their home. With only one female medical facility, we are flown here from all over the county, put all together, and live in the medium-security experience. I know that it could be a lot worse, but based on my sentence, crime, and my security level, my experience should be different.

Although, there are no "shoulds," we are sent where we are supposed to be to gain the experiences we are supposed to gain, in order to learn whatever it is we are supposed to learn. I know that I am here, at Carswell, for a reason. I know that my being here has helped others. I, also, know that other's being here has helped me. I know that working in the education department here, has made me a better educator, and a deeper thinker about higher and adult education. I know that I was meant to meet South my first day here, and have her friendship and trust. I am glad to have made other friends that I can honestly say, I do hope to keep in touch with upon my release. I wrote many months ago, "you enter with not friends, you leave with no friends," or something like that. But the truth is, we do make friendships. Some may not last, others run deep. We are with each other at some of the lowest parts of our lives, and some "get" us, while other's don't.

The old saying that goes something like, "People enter our lives for a reason, season, or a lifetime," is certainly true. I know that people, here, are part of my life for one of those three things. Even the ones that I fear or who are angry and mean, have a "reason" to be in my life. Others, I may only know well, while we are incarcerated, they are my "season" connections. We lift each other up and support each other for now, knowing that once we walk outside the gates, we may never speak again. Then there are those I hope are "lifetime." They are good people. They are thinkers, caring, funny, intelligent, nerdy, beautiful, creative, and interesting. I can honestly say that there's less than a handful of people I've met here who I hope are going to be with me for a "lifetime," but that's all I need. I have incredible "lifetime" friends back home, but prison is making my life richer, by bringing new people into it that bring me happiness and compassion. Like I said, people who I "get" and who "get" me.

Anyway, similar experiences, similar road blocks, can bring people together. I believe that is what happened when I walked into Carswell. It is what starts conversations with "why am I minimum-in status?" A simple conversation can lead to a new friendship. Even as we may not fully understand the reasons for what brings us all together, we can certainly understand the experience of finding ourselves here together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: