New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

From Dragonfly: Some New Year's Joy

Joy, my friend from back home, came to visit me today. She had quite the story of getting in. She arrived, I think, around 7am. Surprisingly, she was only the 6th car waiting. Usually, by 7, you would be the 20th or even further back in line. I was called to the visitation room around 9:30am, so it took her about 1 1/2 hours, after they opened the gates at 8, to be brought in to see me. I suppose she would have been in earlier, but she had a bit of a mishap getting past security. See, Joy wore an under-wire bra here today. I'd warned everyone, that I heard the machine catches under-wire bras, but, for some reason, Joy forgot. So, she was sent to the bathroom to try and remove the wire from her bra. This was one heck of a well made bra, as she could not get the wire out, not even after she borrowed scissors from the officer. So, the lieutenant was called. They absolutely could have told Joy that she would not be able to visit with me. It is a requirement that women have their bras on. However, the lieutenant said that she would not send Joy out without a visit (like had been done to a different person I know recently), instead, they allowed Joy to visit without her bra on, as long as she kept her jacket on the entire visit. She did just that. Good thing she wore a light fleece jacket, and not her winter coat!!! So, remember - NO UNDER-WIRE BRAS!

I was surprised to see only four inmates with visitors at visitation all morning. Usually there are dozens. I guess since the holiday is not on a weekend, and it's a special day for visitation, many people didn't come. I thought it would be packed, but it wasn't. By early afternoon, perhaps 12 inmates had visitors. It was so nice to not have any other inmates or their visitors right next or across from us. We were able to talk at normal levels and still hear one another.

Joy is such a strong, wonderful friend. She drove 3 1/2 hours down from Oklahoma City, where she is staying with friends for a couple days. She says the drive was worth it. That's a great friend!!! We didn't run out of things to talk about. It was nice to have a friend from school here, who I could talk a little to about what has happened with that. I still have not heard back from my appeal. I explained to Joy how I have some ideas on next steps, depending on what happens. I don't worry about it, as right now, my only energy is used to get through day to day. All I would do is add anxiety to myself if I worried about an unknown future. Things will happen however they are supposed to happen, and I know that I will be okay.

I spent a total of 4 1/2 hours with Joy. We hugged goodbye at about 2 pm. I was able to avoid a long line for the strip search by doing that, and only had one other inmate with me in the room for the search, bend, spread, and cough. By 2:30, everyone will be forced to leave visitation. They say that visitation is from 8am-3pm, but that includes all the time visitors have to spend waiting to get in, get processed in/out, and get out.

I know that I am really quite fortunate to have had so many visitors. I also have so many friends who write, email, and send me books and stuff. They all bring me a little joy from home... and today, my friend Joy, added to it. Thank you Joy and thank you everyone who helps me through this time away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: