New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, January 4, 2014

From Dragonfly: Flu Season

It's flu season and some inmates have been found to have the flu. They did offer everyone a flu vaccination in the fall, but some refused it. Actually, I am one of the refusals, because my medication doesn't allow me to take "live vaccinations" and no one could tell me if the vaccine was live or not. So, I have to be really careful, because I'm immuno-compromised. Getting any kind of illness (cold, flu, etc.) can lead to a much more serious condition in anyone immuno-compromised.

Carswell takes flu season very seriously. Just the other day, I saw a bulletin with the influenza policy (warning for all inmates). If an inmate is found to have the flu, they are put into confinement until the time that their symptoms end. Their roommates are also separated from general population, however, if after three days they don't have symptoms, they can go back to their rooms. An outbreak at this prison, because so many inmates have fragile health conditions, would not be good.

I heard through inmate.com (so, take with a grain of salt) that 9 inmates are currently being confined due to influenza. I don't know any of them, if it is true. I pray that I don't come into contact with anyone that does get the flu. Living in such close quarters, it is impossible to keep proper distance from others in order to maintain a healthy boundary from those sick.

Lately, a lot of people have been getting colds. It includes the loss of voice, a cough, sneezing, etc. I fear that I may be at the start of this cold, but I'm trying to be proactive. I, unfortunately, can already feel it moving to my bronchi, which is a well-established part of my health history. I have always struggled with bronchitis, whenever I get sick. My mother would tell me to go get an inhaler and some good cough syrup, but that's not how things work here. If I do get sick, I have to have the full symptoms, go to sick call, and then get the prescriptions. Next week would be the earliest I could go. We'll see what the weekend brings. I will get lots of rest, drink plenty of vitamin c, and take care of myself. I'm even allowing Nurse to give me a "hotty totty" which she says is tea with honey, lemon, and a throat lozenge. Okay, sounds odd to me, but can't hurt.

Maybe, by Monday, this will have passed, and I will be feeling much better. That's the goal! If I can divert this cold, let's hope I can also divert the flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: