New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, February 14, 2014

From Dragonfly: 4 1/2 Hours

There are many ways to spend 4 1/2 hours here. I could be reading a book. I could be helping students with their studies. I could be making a new locker organizer. I could be sleeping. The one way I do not like spending 4 1/2 hours is sitting in the clinic waiting room to be called.

I woke up early today to go to sick call. I had three reasons: 1) I wanted to get the results of my labs from January; 2) I wanted to see if my restrictions are updated from my trip to the rheumatologist; and 3) I had to renew most of my prescriptions. So, I had to be at the clinic around 6 a.m. My blood pressure was taken at 6:45 a.m. My name was called to see the Physicians Assistant at 10:30 a.m. I missed the entire morning of work. I spent my time in the clinic reading a "Reader's Digest." Then I did some crosswords. I also read several chapters of a book of fiction that a fellow inmate wants edited. Finally, I just closed my eyes and tried to relax.

The sights and sounds of the clinic are nothing great. The sounds are mostly people speaking quick spanish to one another. There are a couple posters on the wall about flu v. cold and protecting yourself against HIV/AIDS. I've read them more times than I can remember. There's also a display about the inmate co-pay program. Since I was attending sick call, I would be responsible for paying $2. It was deducted from my account before I was even seen.

My $2 got me 5 minutes with my assigned P.A. who would not give me the results of my labs, would not update my restrictions, but was more than willing to renew my medications (without asking me any questions about how I'm feeling or if they are working). In fact, my methotraxate labs were low, which is weird because I've been on methotrexate for over a year now, but no adjustments were made. The PA informed me that the rheumatologist has not yet sent over any detailed notes of our appointment. After nearly a month, something tells me that she may not. So, after 4 1/2 hours, I left the clinic with no new answers and just a sore butt from the blue uncomfortable benches.

It was only my second full sick-call, and I think I will make it my last. My last time there was no more successful than today's. Yet, it is the only way to be seen by a medical provider. I dear not mention that I'm having increased fatigue, or that my right hand hurts in a new way, or that my back has been hurting. I know these things only make things worse here for inmates. I can handle the pain. I just want to get out. I just want to go home. I know, once I am home, I will NEVER complain again about the wait to see a medical provider. At least I know, the wait will provide me with something of value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: