New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

From Dragonfly: Changing Things Up

As I've mentioned before, the staff like to "change things up" in the units every so often. Yesterday, that change occurred when Bandana was moved out and Peppers was moved in. Bandana went to a new unit and Peppers came from that unit. Braids and I curiously tried to get to know Peppers a bit. She's been in three years. She sleeps a lot. She takes some serious medications, which make her tired and a bit high. She drinks the pepper juice from the bottle that the hot peppers come from, which depletes her potassium, so she complains of charley horses all day. She has a picture board that displays a nice family, and perhaps some friends. She is well-known in the Carswell community - especially people who have been here for a while. She likes things clean (good!). So, for the first time in 4 1/2 months, I am going to get used to a new roommate again. I will miss Bandana. As serious as she was, and even a little frightening at times, she was a softy to me (always talking about the woman she loves who is very ill), and I saw her in her most fragile moments of tears and fear. The truth is that most people's "prison persona" starts once they walk outside their room, but their real side shows when they are in the safety of their room.

I'm not the only person dealing with a new roommate. My pal, Lola, also has a new one. In her case, she is not too happy about the new woman in her room. She has to wear diapers and often smells of urine. She, also, had a severe head injury, resulting in her head having a large dent. It looks super painful, but results in the women needing a lot of assistance with getting to/from her wheelchair, going to the restroom, going to meals and pillline, etc. She probably needs an INA, but for some reason was moved out of the hospital units into our exterior unit. I hope things work out well for them. I have a feeling that she could be moved again quickly, as she probably needs to be placed much closer to the restroom, which is about as far as can be from Lola's room.

Another move was for a friend who has the broken foot from being run over by a wheelchair. So, this friend now has to sit in her own wheelchair. Irony, right? She was placed in a unit that currently has no showers on the floor that she is on. Well, she can't do the stairs... so, I am not sure if she will be moved again soon, as well. Seems I am pretty secure in my location. Most of the people being moved are based on who their "team staff" are, and I'm already in my team staff's unit. Braids, on the other hand, is not, so I may end up with all new roommates. I'm not sure, but anything is possible when that staff is "changing things up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: