New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

From Dragonfly: Counting

I don't know the value of counting my days left. I do not exactly know how many I have... I have less than 70 if I get out on home confinement, about 115 if I go home on my out date... and any date if they ever get my exit paperwork completed and send it off to my region for halfway house/home confinement placement. I went to the supervisor of the woman who is supposed to complete my paperwork yesterday. He stands at Main Line (which is a line of people in the chow hall during lunch). So, we can uncomfortably, in front of all the inmates and other lead staff members, ask personal questions, before/after eating. It's an odd thing to me, but at least it provides access to people. Anyway, I walked up to him and told him that my case worker informed me that I will be maxing out my time because my paperwork has not been completed (although, it's been requested for months). He said to me, "I don't think that will happen." He took down my name and said he would look into it; ignoring the fact that over a month ago I asked him something quite the same and he just sent me to the staff member who has not done it yet. Ugh.

Another sort of "counting" I do is with my commissary. As people here say, "commissary is necessary...," and it really is. I didn't shop last week, so I have my full $160 to spend (if I wanted to and had the funds) this week. It resets on the 15th. The other day, we learned that commissary will be closed next week, so it's called 'double-up week' and things like soda and chips can be bought at 2x the limit. I never reach the limit on anything, but for some people, ensuring they have 14 coca-colas for the next two weeks or 28 (for that matter), is quite important. I spent $81.80 on my commissary... here's how it all adds up:
2 6 packs of Sprite - $6.60
2 cans apple juice - $1.60
1 bag cereal - $3.90
1 bag potato chips - $1.60 (ripples, like ruffles)
2 7" plastic canvas for my craft projects - $1.60
1 bag tortilla nacho chips - $2.30 (like Doritos)
1 book of stamps - $9.20 (flowers this time)
2 pair socks - $7.00 (the heavier ones that I hadn't bought before, but my feet are cold at night)
2 packages of pepperoni - $4.60
1 can of v-8 juice - $1.20
1 bounce dryer sheets - $2.85
1 snack - $1.80
1 pringles - $2.65
1 aloe vera gel - $1.50
1 mayonnaise - $3.95
1 deodorant - $2.45
2 sausage sticks (snacks) - $3.30
1 pop-tart - $1.60
2 packets of tuna - $2.60
1 packet of chicken breast - $2.95
1 deck of cards - $1.65 (for playing cards with Lola on the compound - King's Corner mostly)
Couple m&m packs - $3.40
1 Yellow Highlighter - $1.05
1 Summer Sausage - $2.10
1 box of allergy tablets - $1.80
1 packet of white rice - $1.30
4 packets of ranch dressing - $2.00
1 package of AAA batteries - $1.80

If I wanted to, but I didn't, I would still have $89.20 for the shopping, but I certainly did not need it. Based on the above purchases, I will make myself about 8 lunches and 6 dinners. I will bring cereal with me to breakfast about 5x. I will have a snack for almost everyday. I will have one can of beverage every day. I will be able to put in the m&m's for a cheesecake we are making for someone (although, I may eat one pack myself). I will write 20 letters. I will have batteries for the radio of Lola's I am borrowing. I can play cards not only at inside rec, but anywhere on the compound (no gambling games, of course!!!). I will also have enough plastic canvas to make the organizer I have been building in my head... I needed 5 peices and now I have enough. It is a lot of counting, a lot of items, but it will get me through the 2 weeks and, likely, last me longer. I hate going to commissary every week, so I'm cool with it closed next week. The process is annoying.

I wish my counting could be that I would not have to go to commissary again, because I am going home soon, but, unfortunately, I believe that is not the case. I will likely be doing 2-4 more shopping days over my remaining time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: