New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

From Dragonfly: New "Issue"

I finally decided to wait in the laundry line this morning at 6 am to obtain my "issue." Three pair of panties, three pair of socks, and three bras were given to me. Yay! They use such no-name brands of things that everything pretty much falls apart long before the 6-month issue of new items is given. Luckily, Freckles lives in the main building since she is doing RDAP, so she held me a much closer placement in line than I would have had after limping myself from the housing units to the main building once "chow" was called at 6 this morning. By 6:25am, I was back in my room, getting ready for work, and making my bed. Breakfast with Freckles at 6:40am, finished off my early morning.

I've been reading a lot more, again, now that I am on the upper tier. I read three books this weekend, which was a shock to my roommates. Meanwhile, I also made 3 bracelets for someone and, also, stitched on a plastic canvas a Tasmanian devil for a friend's cup. It was a busy weekend, mostly spent in my room. Lola and I did try to go to indoor rec and play a game, but all the tables were being used.

I also did something I hadn't done since I got here, I walked the track a couple times around. Usually, my legs would not allow for even a short consistent walk, but I felt decent the other night, and it was beautiful weather, and so Lola and myself took 2 trips around the track. That's just 2/3 of a mile, but, still, it's definite improvement. We've promised each other that we will do that more, once it is warmer again. It's in the 20's now - brrrr. Of course, everyone passed us by, it hasn't made my walking any faster, but just sustaining a walk is good news. I have been having a new set of symptoms in my legs - a lot of aching in my ankles, especially when I lie down. I am not worried about it, though, I'm sure it's just another extension of my spondyloarthropathy and enthesitis. Amazing how much pain you can learn to live with, when you have no choice.

I'm teaching  a new adult continuing education (ACE) course on employment skills on Monday nights. Last week was the first night, and the students were ecstatic with the content and my teaching. Numerous students told me that I should be a public speaker and I continue to get feedback on the class. Just this morning, while someone was brushing her teeth in the bathroom, she was telling me that it's the best ACE course she's taken here. It makes me smile. I know that I was meant to teach and I pray I am given that opportunity again in the future. I won't say I'm the best teacher, by no means, but when you gain energy, rather than lose it, doing a job, then you know it's a good fit for you. There's nothing better than seeing the connection of knowledge on a student's face--- "oh, I get it!!!"

So, I shall wear my new "issue" clothing in confidence that I know that there's a future for me beyond being imprisoned. As I tell my students, 40 doors may be closed to us, but the 41st may be open. We need to be humble, honest, open-minded, and willing - and in time, all our dreams are still possible. I told a young woman in her 20's yesterday that she can still aspire to be a surgeon. Why not? Start at a community college, do well, transfer to a 4-year college, take lots of math and science, take the MCAT, and she will be well on her way. Anything is possible - as long as she stays away from drugs and the fast money that got her in here. Perhaps the class is inspiring the women to take a chance at a slower life on the outside. I know that even teaching it, is giving me perspective on never giving up on my goals, even when it appears no one wants to back me. Determination and that fire in your gut to keep moving forward can carry you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: