New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

From Dragonfly: Everybody's Got Something

While incarcerated, I've read more books than ever before in my life. I've read great mysteries, biographies, romance, historical novels, non-fiction, self-help, even math books. My brain loves just escaping for the time to wherever the book takes me. Magazines, too, have helped me through my time. Due to all this reading, it's the rare book that really captivates me. Robin Roberts' "Everybody's Got Something," did just that.

My friend, Purple, who has her own struggles in life, felt I would appreciate the book. Having now read it (arrived last evening and finished it this morning), I would suggest right back to her to read it. I have been having some bad days lately, and some emotional turmoil. This book has brought me back to my center. It reminds me of what I've said from the beginning; I am having this experience for a reason. I may not know that reason. Perhaps there is an impact I had to make on someone or someone needed to make on me. Perhaps, my experiences will help another person. Perhaps, putting this out there through writing will ease the tension of someone facing something similar. Maybe I will help one less person face addiction. Maybe I can help someone do their time with gratitude and humbleness. I didn't realize this book would bring me back to just where I needed to be mentally, but it did. Thank you Purple!!

If you watch GMA or know of Robin Roberts' story, then you pretty much know what the book is about. She survived cancer, only to be diagnosed with a life-threatening illness a couple years later. Given her ability to reach many people, she used her experience to help others. She recognizes her privilege and does not take that for granted. The book is about so much more than her health - it is about love, family, friends, gratitude, acceptance, loss, anger, serenity, and so much more. I couldn't put the book down.

Throughout the book, Ms. Roberts puts in her own wisdom, and the wisdom of others... those lessons of life and faith that help make sense of what is so impossible to understand. I sat, reading the book, with my blue pen (well Cali's blue pen) in hand, underlining, like I was reading a school book. I just wanted to capture the wisdom. I wanted to hold onto the words and sayings. What better way, than to share some of them here, now (The following are direct quotes of the book by Robin Roberts and Veronica Chambers who helped her write it):

I've shared this one before, but it's early in the book (pages 38-39) and I found myself reading it over and over again last night. I then went and shared it with several people on my unit:
"If I found my self on that rooftop becoming depressed, I realized that I was living in the past. If I started to become anxious, I knew it was because I was living in the future. I was truly only at peace living in the present."

In struggling with faith:
"I feel it's okay to get angry with God. He can take it. Just don't stay angry. It takes courage to believe that the best is yet to come. I hold steadfast to that belief, especially when I come face-to-face with adversity" (pg. 44).

From her mother's wisdom to how she lives her life - and how I hope I live mine:
"Make your mess your message" (pg. 52). She explains this in detail. We can never learn the message of our experiences. We must find that message and help others with the message. (Didn't do it justice, but I want you to read this book!)

"I choose to be happy even in difficult times. Uplifting thoughts and actions. Nowhere is it written that we shouldn't be happy. We don't get extra bonus points for drudgingly going through life" (pg. 61).

"The thing about fear is that it only needs the tiniest space, the size of an eye of a needle, to get through and wreak havoc" (pg. 63). This page also shares some incredible wisdom of her mother who show's the epitome of what being humble means.

"Amazing things happen when you let your passion be your purpose" (pg. 70). That's always been my mantra and outside of here, I will continue to chase my passions.

"A prisoner was behind bars and had a decision to make. He could either look down at the dirt in his cell or look up, outside his window, and see the stars... " (pg. 90). How very fitting for this experience I am having.

"When fear knocks, let faith answer the door. Just imagine that for a moment. Fear knocks on your door, and when it opens faith is standing there. Trust me, fear will go looking for another door to knock on" (pg. 110). Oh, I love this one... Later, she writes, "Sometimes when fear knocks, faith shows itself through a friend who stands by the door, squeezes your hand and answers it with you" (pg. 160) - I know how true this is. My entire recovery, health battles, and being in prison I have been held by the hand of countless people. Thank god for you all.

"I'm not going to wait to embrace the perfectly imperfect moment that is now.... this is a chapter I'm about to go through; it is not the end of the book" (pg. 153-154). I've said so many times how I want to write my book, but this experience is merely a chapter, it is not the entire book.

"Again, once you know that someone else has walked that path before you, it makes it a little bit easier for you" (pg. 201). I got this experience in my GA rooms, and I hope I am providing this assistance to those who read my writings, now and into the future. It's how I can possibly help ease someone else's fears.

"You have to change the way you think in order to change the way you feel" (pg. 202).

"It might have looked as if life was beating me senseless with challenges and tragedies and los, but God was holding me the whole time.... Thank God that he had given me, bit by bit, the strength and courage and the good fortune to be a thriver, more than a survivor" (241). Wow, I love this one!!!

"I've learned that strength, true strength, isn't when you face down life's challenges on your own. It's when you take them on by accepting the help, faith, and love of others. And knowing you are lucky to have those..." (pg 244). This has been so true for the past 6 years of my life. I am so blessed.

"We try to identify what's an individual's North. You want to try to never take away somebody's North because you leave them without hope" (pg. 250). We all know that I love any quotes about Hope. I also see this as the roadblocks I must face to get back to my North, my passion. It was a doctor talking to Ms. Roberts that led to this quote. However, it speaks volumes about what we must to for all people who are struggling - give them back their passion/their North, and they can thrive through anything!

Okay, enough quotes. I promise, I did not ruin the book for you. I know many people will not purchase it or it may not resonate with them the way it did for me. If you are needing to get out of your own head and sorrow, though, this is the book to read. It's one of the few books that will go home with me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: