New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Tackling our Demons

A weird title given how amazing my weekend was with my group of friends. We spend about 48 hours exploring ourselves, recovery, the joy of food, deeply connected friendships, and growing older with laughter, tears, little sleep, and a shortage of toilet paper (no worries, plenty of Kleenex!). As always, a mildly adjusted version of the "cowgirls" board game was a hit with laughter bringing happy tears to our eyes.

So, why this title? Well, much of the recovery, at least for me, was about letting go and our self-esteem. A friend brought some amazing materials from adult children of alcoholics and I could see myself in every principle of that program. Even as adults, we never run out of things we can work on. We just need to be open to them and honest with ourselves and our need for held.

I feel as if this weekend allowed me to release a lot of built up demons I've been holding onto around judgement from others, especially family. I choose to release it all and seek no one's permission to be the best person I can be and I don't want anyone so embarrassed of who I am or my past that they feel lies are the only way to save face with others. I will not live someone else's lie. If people cannot accept me for who I am, I must be willing to have healthy boundaries and I deserve love and respect. I will not live in shame! No demons hanging over me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: