New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Whole30

I've decided to finally do the elimination diet I was planning on doing prior to the passing of my grandma. Then, I got through one day and my grandma passed away and then I was at a funeral and sitting shiva. My thoughts of eliminating foods to see the culprits of some of my aches and pains just didn't make sense at that time.

I'm now on my fifth day of the whole30 elimination plan. No sugar, no legumes, no dairy, no grains for 30 days. Eggs, however are okay and encouraged. Technically, there is a more severe elimination protocol for people with autoimmune conditions like myself, but I decided to do the general one first. Once I get through 30 days like this, I can choose to do this again or continue it if I decide to with the more restrictive diet.

I'm not struggling as much as I thought I would. I'm a happy little carnivore. I have always loved cheese, but haven't really missed my dairy products yet. Actually, even just a few days in, I notice that I'm enjoying the taste of my foods far more than usual. A sweet potato tastes sweeter, drinking a basic herbal tea with no additives (sugar or honey) is suddenly okay, and even the homemade mayo tastes pretty darn good! 

Joy and Sporty are also doing the Whole30 alongside me. They are going well so far too. It's always so good to embark on something like this having the support of others doing something similar. Today I'm going to search out recipes and make a shopping list and we will plan our meals for the week. Sporty and I got rid of all our forbidden foods to shelves that T.S. can eat from and enjoy her Oreos or Cheerios, while our shelves are packed with nuts, fruits, olive oils, spices, and foods we are allowed. Being a whole food diet, our fridge has fresh fruit, veggies and plenty of meats for the protein portions - and of course eggs! 

Last night's meal consisted of ribeye steak, stir fried onions, and homemade sweet potato chips. With meals like that (and half the ribeye ready to be eaten today), I think this is an elimination diet I can get through!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: