New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Creating Opportunities

My last post was about a family member that had not responded to any communication by me in weeks. Wouldn't you know it that I received the kindest email from her today? She told me that she would absolutely visit me (not my step-brother or the kids, which is fine), but that she would. Which is exactly what I wanted. I'd jumped to a conclusion and all she needed was time. We have to remember to give our loved ones the time they need.

Another thing we need to be able to accept is that people who care about us often feel powerless over our situation. They want to "fix" it, but there is no magic pill. We must do our time. We must face the consequences of our actions. They must allow us to face the unknown and scary and they cannot take that away from us. However, we can help by creating some easy opportunities for our family and friends to assist us from the "outside." 

My friend Survivor is taking on my finances while I am gone. She and I were talking this afternoon about the fact that some friends have spoken to her about sending some funds my way during my time at Carswell. The generosity of my friends is unbelievable, many of them need every penny they earn, and yet here they are offering to assist me while I am in prison. I am doing my best to save up for all my basic needs. Of course it would be nice to have some of the nicer commissary items, but they are not necessities and I am hopefully only in for 10 months at the longest. So, we were talking about other ways my friends can feel like they are supporting me.

I already sent my friends my prison address, details on the email and phone system, and information on how the visitation system works, should they have the ability to travel to Texas. I know that they will do their best to email and write, and I know that I will be one of the people who feels very grateful at mail call. Forever I will be humble to this reality and will pay forward this to others I meet facing similar situations by writing others in prison.

While reading the Carswell handbook, I noticed that I can receive magazines and newspapers directly from publishers. So, Survivor and I decided that putting a list together of periodicals that I would like to receive (along with the Amazon book wish list I already have) will be the perfect way to create new opportunities for friends to feel like they are doing "something" to help. I don't expect to receive every book/magazine/newspaper on my lists. In fact, I hope I don't, or I would probably have to give half away to other inmates (which wouldn't be so bad). But, it was fun coming up with my list. Survivor will hold the list, so I don't receive 10 copies of People Magazine. It's important to have a central person who can organize things for you while you are gone. I was able to browse a very comprehensive list of magazines at magazines online. Discount websites are fine to order from because you still receive the actual magazines from the publisher. Make sure your specific institution allows magazines by reading the handbook.

My hope is to have a couple weekly magazines, maybe 1-2 monthly ones, and at least one daily newspaper. Since they are allowed, I see no excuse from cutting myself off from the news of the world. It will be bad enough that I will be cut off from social media for so long (another blog post I will have to do, I am sure!). Make sure that the person who is tracking who is purchasing what for you lets you know who ordered a magazine for you, because it may show up without the gifter's name. I plan to write a nice thank you note for anything I receive, as long as I am able. If I can't, it's about "paying it forward," and I certainly will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: