New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

From Dragonfly: Another Wonderful Visit

Sporty just left. We spent 5 hours together yesterday and about 5 1/2 hours together today. We never ran out of things to talk about, although both visits left me fatigued (all we did was sit, eat, and talk). I am so fortunate to have so many people who care about me and make my time here go by easier!! I asked Sporty to write up her experiences and she has agreed, so be looking for that soon!

Last night, an odd thing happened here. A woman in my unit brought me an article that she has from a local paper and said, "You're quoted in the paper!" I hadn't been interviewed for any articles that I know of, so I thought to myself, is it Dragonfly Hazel being quoted? Did someone pick something up off something I've written? But, once I was reading the article, I had my answer. See, I happen to have the exact SAME name as a well-known columnist - a columnist I highly do not agree with. The article was about a woman here in Carswell, Lynn Stewart, who is a 'political' prisoner based on her actions in defending a terrorist (as an attorney). She is dying from cancer and currently has less than 6 months to live. She does not want to die in prison. They have tried to get her compassionate release, but she has not yet been approved (only 24 people are approved annually for compassionate release). The article was more about the uses of compassionate release than Ms. Stewart. Anyway, the article quotes this columnist, who shares my name, and she said that she believes Ms. Stewart should never be released from prison and should die here. Well, these are definitely NOT my opinions, but since I have that same name, others here think I was the one being quoted. This could be a bad thing!!!!!! Except when it comes to the staff - who may think I'm on their side of things. This woman, who shares my name, has followed me around the country in many ways. I almost did not get a job once, because they thought I must be her. I have received messages for her, with people finding my number instead of hers. Friends have told me that they thought I was coming on TV, when in fact, it was her. We are a different ethnicity from one another (so that helps), but, since she is usually just writing her opinions, many people have no idea what she looks like.

Now, I have the reality that if people google our name, they will either think I am a closed minded writer or a horrible felon. Not sure she is happy to have my name either now!!!! An odd reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: