New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

From Dragonfly: A New Teacher

Yesterday, a new teacher, Ms. W., was assigned to my classes until Ms. N. returns. Ms. W. is brand new to education, but has worked for many years as a C.O. in the institution. Some students really do not like her, but it is my first days working with her, and she seems like she wants to teach, so that is good. She is also deferring to me about the curriculum so far, but we are about to write a couple weeks of science curriculum, so that will be a joint decision. So far, she has liked the curriculum I am doing to help students brainstorm essays and then write their introduction paragraphs. For some students, it has been so long since they were in school, and they dropped out so early in life, that just getting them to understand a sentence is what we need to do. Others, seem to be accomplished writers. I love it when I see someone struggling "get it" and start excelling with their work. It is very rewarding. I always tell my students, "good work." I also let them know that it is okay to struggle, as long as they are trying. We then work 1-on-1 until they understand. With Ms. W. in the room, not both of us can work 1-on-1 with different students. Plus, she can tell people to pay attention, which I am not allowed to do. She can discipline them worse, as well. I've enjoyed teaching yesterday and today! Also, several students told Ms. W. behind my back that I am a good tutor and teacher. It was nice that they said that unsolicited.

Nothing is ever perfect, though. Several of the "tutors" are getting very frustrated with the job. We are paid less than the kitchen workers (even the dish washers). We are not given first priority at meals, while facility workers do, even though we must be at work on time. We sometimes can't do our commissary shopping, if we have a call-out the morning of our commissary day, because education does not want us shopping during the lunch break (in case it takes too long). Also, some workers get commissary priority, but tutors do not (once again, we still need to figure out how to be at work on time). We are given very little time to be in the email room. Blah, blah, blah. All these issues are true, but I am SOOOO glad I am a tutor and not a dish washer. I am SOOOO glad I am a tutor and not trying to paint walls. I feel like every day at work, I am using my interest in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning with both the educators and the students. I am shifting the classroom from just summative assessment, to formative assessment as well. Not everything needs a grade, but everything should be used to guide the student's level of learning and understanding. Tomorrow, I think I am going to try the bulls eye formative assessment activity that I learned from colleagues when we were in South Africa. Yesterday, I did the "fly swatter" game - where I asked students to reduce several fractions and they used a fly swatter to point to the correct answer on the board. They had fun and they pretty much got it all correct, even though they were solving the problems in their head!!

I am recommending 4 students for pre-GED testing to see if they may be ready for the big test. I am not sure how they will score, but I hope to see some of my students obtain their GED while I am still here. Although, if it was a choice to tutor or go home, I will definitely choose home. I have had no answer on lowering my "care level". I've talked with 2 people at medical and submitted 3 cop-outs so far. Everything takes time and persistence here!! Just like the work of learning in order to pass the GED test!

Off to class!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: