New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

From Dragonfly: Nothing is Permanent in Prison

The reality of living in prison, is to know that things change all the time. One minute, you are getting used to your roommate, the next they are moved. You may love something they sell in commissary, but they choose to stop selling it. You may make a good friend, but then they are sent to halfway house. You may get used to having a microwave, only to have it taken away from the unit for days at a time. You may enjoy watching a specific tv show, only to find out that you can't watch it. You may want to play softball, only to be told that you were kicked off your team. You may be expecting roast beef, and be served pork roast instead. Everything changes and nothing is permanent. The goal, don't get too comfortable, ever.

Today, a major change is occurring that affects me. Freckles was officially accepted into the RDAP program (residential drug and alcohol program). She is being moved out of my unit and also will not be able to tutor anymore in Education. RDAP is a very intensive 9 month program. The incredible news for her, is that once she completes the program, they will let her out 9 months early... so she will be able to go to halfway house/home confinement in October, rather than summer, 2015. Of course, for her, that is wonderful!!!!

I will miss my daily chats with Freckles. She, too, is from the Midwest and we enjoyed watching Saturday college football together. We also did our breakfasts together. She is someone I have found that I can trust in here.

Soon, South and Danbury will also be moving on. South is probably going to go to home confinement within a couple months. Danbury is officially released in December. I've made other "friends." There is Star (a young, pregnant woman), Army (my roommate), Ark (Army's best friend), and many more. But, since I have been here, Freckles, South and Danbury have been my closest confidants. All will be heading to greener pastures, I hope.

The crazy thing is that once we are each released from prison, we cannot communicate legally - not until we are off supervised release (for me, 3 years). So, keeping in touch and knowing how one another are doing is a little tricky - and I certainly do not intend to get in trouble while on Supervision. However, there are some good people in prison. People who are genuine, scared, kind, honest, and good. Even among the chaos that exists, friendship can and does occur.

Good luck to Freckles! I will see her in passing and, perhaps, on the play field. But, I will miss our being able to support one another through this crazy experience. I know her spouse is happy that she will be going home earlier. I am as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: