New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, November 22, 2013

From Dragonfly: Appeal

People in prison are always talking about "appeals." For nearly all of them, it is an appeal of their criminal conviction and/or their sentencing. I don't blame them, they were punished for taking their cases to trial (lose 2 points on conviction) and most had incredibly high mandatory minimums. I know women here for LIFE from dealing drugs. As much as anyone can't stand drugs, giving someone a higher sentence for dealing drugs than a killer who gets 20 years is a bit extreme. In fact, today, congress is talking about these very issues - mandatory minimums and sentence computations. Once the new bills are passed, it will be a madhouse here of people trying to get their sentence reduced. Many people will be going home. I pray, not back to their drug dealing ways.

For me, I am not appealing my case or sentence. I chose to plea, knowing full well that the judge could impose any sentence. I received less time than the guidelines suggested, and none of the new congressional bills will apply to me. I am appealing, though, I just typed up my appeal to my university for revoking my admission. This appeal goes directly to the Provost. Thanks to Sporty, I was able to receive a copy of the Graduate Student Rights and Responsibilities and there were many provisions that I could refer to in my appeal. It makes a strong argument that my due process rights, my privacy rights, and my rights to be treated civilly and professionally have been violated. I was also able to appeal that the revocation of my admission was an inappropriate sanction. I have no idea how the current Provost will handle the information. I want more than anything to remain a student, but I also am protecting my rights for further action, should that have to occur.

Truth is that most appeals are not successful. However, a small number are - a woman in here just learned that her appeal of sentence computation was successful and she is going home ANY day now. Another friend just learned that her appeal for denial of unemployment security benefits was successful - and she received a deposit for over 2 months of back payments. I know my appeal for reconsideration of what has happened to me with school is a stretch, however, if I don't appeal, I would only guarantee that nothing will happen. At least this way, I can always hold on to hope.

I'm working hard at finding my "hope" again. Hope is such an optimistic word. Nurse says that I am a pessimist, I see that my hope has been limited lately. But, I have many things to hope for... I have hope that all my friends and family will be healthy, I have hope that people here will get their release dates soon, I have hope that I will find my new path. I have so much hope.

Plus, I got the best feeling yesterday when one of my students and I learned that she had passed her GED. She thanked and hugged me over and over again. It was just wonderful. She didn't think she could pass the math test. She passed the whole test on her first try. She is a good person and goes home in a couple months. Her mother has terminal cancer. I hope that her success in obtaining her GED helps her mom smile and, maybe, helps her hold out til her daughter can get home to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: