New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

From Dragonfly: Indian Summer

I'm not sure where the term "Indian Summer" comes from and I sure hope it is not derogatory... so many things are and we just don't know... for example, did you know that, "rule of thumb," comes from an old law where husbands could not beat their wives with anything thicker than their thumb? Crazy, right?

Anyway, it is an "Indian summer" outside this weekend. We recently had a couple days where our temperature fell into the 30's-50's (yes, very mild), but this weekend, our temps are 80 degrees today and about 87 degrees tomorrow. I walked to my breakfast in shorts. It is mid-November. Okay, I am in the south - in Texas - maybe that shouldn't surprise me - but it does. Global Warming anyone?

With it so warm, most inmates will be outdoors today, catching some rays, kicking a hackey sack, playing a game of softball, walking the outdoor track, and/or just sitting on the benches talking. If I choose to go out today, it will be to join Freckles out by Outdoor Rec and sit at a picnic table and do a crossword. Nerd? Why, yes I am. When people see we are doing a crossword, they (for the most part) keep their distance. Ha. Speaking of nerds, Cache sent me a great package of "stuff" that I received yesterday. In it was the full printout of the musical "Rent" - one of my faves. When reading it, I can almost hear the voices of the stage productions I have seen. She also sent me fun jokes - a lot of nerdy, academic jokes. I laugh out loud. My roommates ask what is funny. They understand some of the jokes, but not all of them. I especially loved a picture on a Speed Limit sign that said something like 2(x+4)=108. Oh, such fun. (Need the answer? See end!).

Okay, how will I likely spend my weekend? Well, with everyone outdoors, I will happily be indoors, enjoying finishing some crochet projects (I've gotten much faster) and also enjoying the quiet. Usually, due to my work, I am only in my unit at night. During that time, people "claim" one of the 10 available tables. I always find one, but it is usually crowded and tough to come by. Last night, I heard several people talking - while we were still in our rooms for count - about how all the tables were already "spoken for." No one can "claim" a table, yet they RUN out of their rooms once count clears and grab 5 chairs and hold their chosen table. It's crazy stuff! I mean, we all have equal right to a seat at a table, but those of us who live further away from the location of the tables and/or are unable to run, can't get one. I know, this is stupid stuff to be complaining about, but everything is like this - laundry, tables, tv's, etc. People feel entitled and those of us wanting to avoid a fight or a trip to the SHU, just accept it. We are walked all over. And those who don't give a damn, they get anything they want --- until one day when the C.O. has had enough, and they are written up for something or another. It's like living in a house with all older siblings who ensure they get what they want and don't care what the younger sibling needs/wants. Except, there are hundreds of older siblings to deal with.

When I do sit at an empty table, I can't say that what happens is any better than any other table (although, I don't grab more chairs than I need). Why? Well, just like on the school yard, certain people tend to congregate together. There's a group of us that tend to sit at the same table, work on various craft projects, talk, share snacks/meals, and do our daily complaints about the state of our lives. You've heard about some of them - Danbury, South, Star, Nurse... but there's more, many more. Usually the people sit not just at the table, but one row beyond the table, because the table is full. Most of us are newer to the institution (although, some have been here a long time). Most of us are here for "white collar" crimes - although there are others (arms dealing, drug manufacturing, counterfeiting money, etc.). Sometimes, I can't believe I'm sitting next to someone who got caught with 9 kilos of coke or in their home manufacturing meth. Certainly a life I never anticipated. Here, we are all the same - we all wear Khaki weekdays and grey on weekends. Bad choices, addiction, and life circumstances got us here. I judge no one's crime. I just pray the people find a different path after incarceration. Nearly 70% of felons will find themselves back in prison... the number decreases substantially for those who participate in education programs or apprenticeships.

Anyway, my computer time is running low. I am going to go outside and walk slowly back to my unit. I'm going to enjoy a bit of Indian Summer. I'm going to clean my room (my turn!), and then I will grab a table in the atrium until 10am count. I'll be right back in that Atrium when count clears - perhaps all day - until 4pm count. After dinner, you'll find me there again... perhaps with a finished crochet project, making some friendship bracelets, or just sitting with my peers. That's a Saturday in Carswell.

(The answer to the nerd joke: Step 1 - write out equation: 2(x+4)=108  Step 2 - factor: 2x+8=108 Step 3 - subtract both sides by 8: 2x+8-8=108-8 Step 4 - divide both sides by 2:2x/2=100/2 Final Answer: x=50 --- that's the speed limit - 50 :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: