New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

From Dragonfly: Scrabble

Being sick in prison is NOT fun. Now, I am not the sickest I've ever been, and it does not appear that I've caught the flu (thank God), but that bronchitis is definitely there. Survivor goes through something similar most years and will know what I am talking about. But, this is the first time I'm sick like this since becoming immuno-compromised, and it seems to be moving fast in my system.

Yesterday, I decided to take it pretty easy. I did breakfast with Lola, then I went to sleep for several more hours. I decided against lunch at the chow hall, and just fed myself some of my own food when hungry. I slept some more. After lunch, I met up with Lola, Freckles, and Appeal at indoor rec, and we played scrabble. It was the first time I've played a game at indoor rec, and with this company, I had a great time. Freckles is awesome competition and I can tell that Lola and Appeal are quickly gaining speed. I have a feeling we'll be playing more often now. I love scrabble! Back home, it's my favorite game on my electronic devices to play against friends and, also, to play in person. In fact, I own a newer version, that allows for quadruple word scores... now that is fun!!!!

I went back to sleep after scrabble, stayed back for dinner (choosing wraps in the unit instead), crocheted a bit, and was in bed by 8pm. The worse thing about not feeling well, is that there is never quiet, never darkness, and your roommates can wake you up continually. I tried sleeping with my head higher last night, a trick I was told when I was young with this, but since I only have one pillow, I had to gather anything else I could to raise the pillow - sweats, blanket, towels, etc. Not sure it helped, but I'm willing to try anything. I want to kick this fast.

Today will be even more low key than yesterday. I had breakfast in the chow hall (where I bring my own cereal) and I'm probably not going back out of my unit (after I complete this message) until tomorrow. My health is my priority and I need to take care of myself. Unfortunately, I am running low on crossword books, as that is what I tend to do when I am laying around so much. Once again, if a loved one is in prison, crossword and puzzle books are a wonderful thing to send them (as long as they like using that part of their brain).

I think I forgot to mention, the other day, that I heard that I will not, yet, be able to have my halfway house papers filled out and sent. I was "informed" that I am on medical hold and that nothing can happen for me until that is lifted. I "think" the medical hold is due to the fact that I still have to see a rheumatologist (which is now scheduled to occur sometime, but I don't know when). Once I see the doctor, I should have the hold lifted and my chances of getting out of here and going to halfway house will increase. This is all, "I hope," but as I always say, this is my "journey of hope" and I will always try to keep "hope" at the forefront. For today, I can't worry about the future, I will only concern myself with the affairs of the day. These include trying to get myself well. So, I am heading back to my unit, my bed, and my crosswords. Perhaps a game of scrabble is also in my future...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: