New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, January 10, 2014

From Dragonfly: A Public Announcement

Yesterday, our friends were officially "released" from isolation after 4 days of being treated with high security in the SHU because their roommate was suspected of having the flu. Even though they did nothing wrong, they were treated the exact same in the SHU as any other person who has to go there for discipline. Their stories are scary and I'm so glad they are back out in general population. I was told by them that, now, they appreciate the "comforts" of being in general population - going outside, real mattresses, pillows, clothing, private toilets, etc. I shall remain grateful and hopeful that I never have to go through that experience.

However, the flu scare in the U.S. is not over. Two people from medical came to our unit to give a public announcement yesterday afternoon. I guess 12 people have died in Dallas from the current H1N1 flu outbreak. I hope all my loved ones chose to get the flu shot!!! The flu is also inside Carswell, although they admitted that none of the people isolated for having the flu have confirmed cases, they believe they have the flu based on symptomology. I'm not sure if they have to send out samples to the CDC or some health department.

As part of the announcement, they informed us that if we have not yet been vaccinated, that we can submit a "cop-out" to the clinic to get ourselves the flu vaccine. They had offered it to everyone in the Fall, but I think like 1/3 of the inmates refused the vaccine for various reasons. For me, I asked the nurse if I could take the vaccine based on my medication restrictions (including no live vaccines) and she handed me the "refusal" papers. From what I have heard, the flu vaccine is a "dead" vaccine and has no live cultures. But, I want someone here to tell me that it's okay for me to take it. So, when they opened for questions, I asked, "can I take the vaccine if I am not allowed any live vaccines?" The response, "send a cop-out to your doctor." Meaning, 'we will not make that decision.' I'm supposed to send a cop-out to my doctor, even though I have two other cop-outs to the same doctor and neither has been responded to... Being immunocompromised, I really, really can't fight off the flu, so if I am allowed the vaccine, I need to take it!!!

In other news, I know several people going home today. Two of them were roommates of mine in the bus stop. I remember my first days here, hearing that they had about six months left, and now they are headed to their halfway houses. I pray that I do not see them ever again - meaning they do not come back! Too many people are back here on parole violations. Just the other day, my roommate who has been incarcerated for 12 years, since she was 19 years old, told me that she only knows life inside prisons. She's a hustler. How will she be able to live a "clean" life on the outside? I pray that those walking out of prison today, never come back!

South learned, officially, that she will not be going home on her home confinement date, but rather she will have to max out. That makes her out date exactly one month from today. I'm frustrated that we are given all these dates, but in reality, so many people are forced to max out their time. I don't know why no one made the arrangements for her to be able to go home, but she still has to see someone about her travel arrangements, even though they are currently doing travel for people not leaving until March. Somehow, since her case worker left late last year, someone seems to have dropped the ball on her paperwork. The one good thing, though, is that they cannot keep her a day after February 10th. I will be counting down with her! Right now, 30 days and a wake-up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: