New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"How's Your Day?"

I'm sitting at a Chili's II restaurant at my layover airport. There were choices - pizza, burgers, chinese, hot dogs, etc., but I am not too hungry. A bowl of soup and ice water sounded perfect. I chose the chicken enchilada soup - although the loaded potato soup immediately reminded me of the night Freckles and I snuck potatoes out of the chow hall in our bras and made our own version of cheesy potato soup. There are so many bizarre, laughable, experiences in prison and that was certainly one of them.

When the waitress took my order, she seems surprised by my only getting soup. Everyone around me is munching on huge sandwiches and fries. I just need to be satisfied, not stuffed. I'd actually forgo lunch, but I may be late for dinner tonight and I know skipping meals is not good for me.

My soup just arrived. Four packs of Zesta Saltine Crackers on the side. Immediately, my mind things of the people who I could give them to as a treat at Carswell. Four packs for a small bowl of soup - not sure I'm prepared for the portion sized out in the real world.

Everything is a new observation. In the restroom, I got toilet paper to put on the toilet, as I always did in Carswell. However, when I turned to the toilet, it had one of those automatic turning plastic covers - just wave your hand and you get a clean toilet seat just for you. Obviously, I've seen these before several times, but I've been away from anything mechanical or technical and it made me laugh. There are a million used for that toilet seat wrap in prison - it would be stolen immediately for improper purposes. Also, I wonder what a woman, released after 20 years inside, would do in the stall. Here she is, first day out, and she doesn't know how to work the toilet seat. So many things we take for granted.

I tried calling Red's MIL again. Went straight to voicemail. I pray it's the right number. I didn't leave a second message. Hopefully, I'll reach her later. My flight boards in 30 minutes. I am heading to an unknown, but I know it will be better. I'm back in the midwest - people say "wash" instead of "warsh" - it's a good start.

So, the waitress asked me, "how's your day?" I answered, "good." If she only knew my journey. I am good. I am out of Carswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: