New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, February 20, 2015

Freckles - the HWH and Medical Care

In coming from a medical facility - I really didn't have "high hopes" of prompt or proper medical care while at my half way house. However, there are certain things that we are entitled to since we are still in BOP custody. But once again, the way the half way house administrators handle this stays true to the philosophy of the BOP meaning "backwards on purpose".

Before I left Carswell they administered a TB test so I had my negative results and they renewed all my prescriptions so I had 6 months of refills. The first mistake I made was thinking that the BOP and the HH "talk". There is no direct line of communication and nothing transfers from the BOP to the HH. In BOP's eyes, when you are leaving they believe they are setting things up to make it easier on you, when in reality the HH has no clue. So upon getting there off I go to the clinic to get a TB test (even though I had documentation stating "negative" results from less than a week earlier) and a "basic" physical. When I say basic, it's truly that, all clothes on and just a quick 5 minutes with a doctor, an eye test and height and weight. Well ok, now how do I get my prescriptions filled? Each HH has a budget for medical and dental, since they are to provide you care while you are in their custody. My HH instead uses the FREE Salvation Army clinic. So off I went to a free clinic which in my eyes I really had no business being at. There are other people that need these appointment slots, shouldn't the HH contract with a doctor's office and pay with their funding vs trying to pawn us off on the free clinics? The doctor I met with was very nice, and after getting my prescriptions filled she asked me why I was using their clinic when I had health insurance (apparently they can see that in the computer). I explained to her that the HH told me I had to use their doctor - not true, after one time to their clinic off to my primary care physician I went.

Now on to the dentist - after 2 months of being there I had a filling fall out. It was substantial in size so half of my tooth was literally gone and all was exposed. Once again, they set up an appointment with me at a free/sliding scale clinic down in the bario. Off I went. The dentist was very nice and they did X-rays and worked up a detailed treatment plan on what work needed to be done - including a cleaning since I did not have one now in over a year of being in BOP custody. Odd thing, upon leaving, the receptionist noted that she would be sending over everything to my HH but also "warned" me that NOTHING ever gets approved from them so plan on not getting the work I needed done and to probably be prepared to make other arrangements. Interesting. So me being me, I went on the BOP website and pulled all their "guidelines" on providing dental care, I was going to be armed and informed knowing that I 'would be declined'. And within a few days what do you know - my work was declined. I contacted our regional office and filed some "grievance" paperwork on this matter. Well, apparently our HH was not submitting paperwork correctly and region was upset so region was now coming to our HH to train the caseworkers. Whew, I finally thought I was making headway. Fast forward 3 months later, still no resolution. My casework resubmitted my paperwork for approval. The clinic they have us use does not have the capabilities to send "electronic" x-rays which the BOP requires. Now why would the HH use a dentist that can't even provide the BOP what they need to approve the work - you got it, if it doesn't get approved, the monies don't get spent and they can use them elsewhere. After further run around, I spoke to the clinic and they were not sending anything to my HH due to the fact that they had not yet paid for my initial exam which was over 3 months ago. So now my caseworker informs me they are trying to find a "free" clinic for us to use - my response, was to just shake my head and ask "why"? Knowing I tried, I made an appointment with my dentist. My filling is now fixed and I'm going to get my cleaning today.

There are certain things that as "prisoners" still in BOP custody we are entitled to. But beware, the HH does not make it easy. However, on a good note - the BOP has just informed our HH that while in custody and at the HH the inmates are eligible for "ObamaCare" and the low income medicaid if offered in your state. Because when I arrived they had you sign documentation stating that it was "fraud" to obtain these benefits due to what they called "double dipping". Odd that the state and the feds can not even agree on something as simple as subsidized medical. My advice, as soon as you land at the HH (or prior if you have someone you trust to start the process), get your health insurance in place and avoid the madness and hoop jumping I went through.

At the end of the day I was not fighting for just me - I knew that I would get my teeth taken care of one way or another - but I was trying to hopefully make enough waves that these horrific situations wouldn't happen to future HH resident. Again, a fail - for now. I am documenting all of this and hopefully will get some resolve when I send to our region (after my release of course). In our HH, it is not worth causing any type of friction, they can easily make your re-entry more challenging, which unfortunately they choose to do to individuals on a daily basis. 
-Freckles
------

As you all know from my experience, I was able to get on Medicaid/Obamacare as soon as I got home on home confinement from the HWH. My HWH would not allow me to fill out the online application while there. Freckles' experience in another state is very interesting and she happened to have her own private insurance. While in BOP custody, the BOP is responsible for your medical coverage, however they can refuse to cover your treatments, as Freckles experienced- as we also experienced even when locked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: