New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Finding Community

When I walked into the gambler's anonymous program in June, 2008, I could not imagine I would have anything in common with anyone in the rooms. They all appeared to be older than me, mostly male, and I couldn't imagine they did damage to their lives even close to what I had done to mine. I couldn't have been more wrong. If we let ourselves get to know others, we realize that we all have far more in common than our differences.

The same is true for the prison community. I am not there yet, but I have met people in GA who have spent time in prison because a gambling addiction (like drugs and alcohol) often brings us to the desperation of crime (something we would never do if we were not in the throes of addiction). These people are my friends and some of the people I admire most in my GA program. They are doing well today, prison did not break them, they are able to move forward, work, have love in their lives, and stand tall (well the last part will be difficult for me at just 5' tall).

I recently decided to start joining the prison community in advance of my self-surrender. It is a place to ask questions, gain support, and not feel so alone on this path. Don't think of yourself as different or unique than everyone else in prison. They all just committed a crime or at least were found guilty of one, and are doing their time, and want to stand tall on the outside one day. Introduce yourself (whether a person going in or a supporter of someone going in) at www.prisontalk.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: