New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Making the Most of Our Time

I just received an email inviting me to interview for a one week teaching job on my campus. I applied for this position before I knew my sentence, before I knew I would have to be leave this place I love in late August to await my self-surrender. The teaching gig is a week prior to the time I am leaving where I currently live. I can earn a couple hundred dollars doing what I love on top of my usual graduate assistantship, and it will keep me busy. So, I said "yes" to the interview. If I am selected to work for the week, it will be another wonderful opportunity I can add to my CV (an educator's resume) and luckily things are put down by year, not month. My CV will, hopefully, not have a hole in it because I have 2013 entries and when I am out in time for Fall, 2014, it will have 2014 entries. 

It is important for you to know that you do not have to put months on your resumes. You also do not have to put everything you have ever done down. A resume is a marketing piece. Never lie on your resume, but you do not have to put down every short term job, prison position, etc. Make sure you have someone who understands human resources, resume writing, etc. look at your resume before you go looking for jobs after you have been on the inside. Remember it is a marketing tool of yourself and nothing more. Make the most of your time before you go in, while you are inside, and after. I'll post later about finding jobs after doing time in prison. Doing time does not mean you need to spend your life in the poor house. I truly believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: