New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Piper Kerman


I am going to be known in prison as a number. Most likely I will remember this number for the rest of my life. Every prisoner gets a number and that is how we are known and called by. When I heard Piper Kerman talk about her experience in the Danbury women's prison, (http://www.prx.org/pieces/87687-the-moth-radio-hour-1304-air-window-1-22-13-1), it felt a little too close to stories of other places where the goal is for individuals to lose identity and just become "one of" and unimportant. I promise to not allow this to happen to me.

It appears that Piper made sure it did not happen to her either. She used the experience to write a humorous and insightful memoir called, "Orange is the new black." I already have it on order from Amazon and will receive the book in a couple days. I hope to read her book before starting to watch the dramatization of it on Netflix. Netflix ordered the book into a series which happens to start on July 11, 2013 (just days from when I am keeping this blog). In one of the coming attractions for the new series, another inmate asks Piper something about her background, and Piper remarks back, "I thought you weren't supposed to ask questions. That's what the books said," and the other inmate makes a face and comments, "you researched for prison??" And I knew that I could be Piper in that exact situation. I am a researcher by trade and my counselor pointed out to me just today that due to my childhood and survival instincts, it is not a surprise that I want to know as much as I can about what I will need to prepare myself for.

I plan to watch the entire first season of the new Netflix series before leaving for whatever place I am going. As I read Piper's book, I may make some comments. At the very least, I will let you know if I recommend it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: