New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, July 7, 2013

I am Officially a Number

I was curious and looked myself up on the Federal Bureau of Prisons website - available here. On the left bar is "inmate locator." I entered my first and last name and I am officially listed. A week ago I was not yet listed on the website (so I guess it takes a couple weeks). I officially have my number. There are five digits a dash and then three digits. It also lists my age, race, gender, known release date (mine is unknown as of now) and my location (says "not in BOP custody" as of right now). I became curious as to if there was any logic as to the Register # given to me. So, I researched...

The first five digits are random, the three digits after the dash are based on the jurisdiction where I was booked by the U.S. Marshal (regardless of where I live or where my trial took place or where I will be serving out my sentence). There is a key to the last three digits. You can find the key here. That is the only significance to the number I was assigned with. With 8 digits, my number will not be easy to remember - no easy sequences or number repeats. However, I am likely to hear it and say it enough times that I will know it by heart for the rest of my life.

I have two choices here. I can choose to let this number be something that takes my individuality away or something I own and empowers me as a way to inspire change in myself and others. Yes, I will be a prisoner, I am a felon. I carry this weight for my lifetime. I have a prison number. It is truth. It does not change who I am or my journey.

2 comments:

  1. It's your new social security number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mine memorized the first time I saw it on the locator. Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: