New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Keeping the Faith

When I wrote my blog the other day about what you can bring with you into prison/prison camp, I inadvertently left out one item - your bible. You are allowed to bring that with you. I do not own a bible. If I did, it would be called a Siddur (Jewish Prayer Book). Looking at the list of items you can bring into Prison, it does not list a Siddur. Jewish people account for less than 2% of all prisoners (federal or state) in the U.S. prison system. Jewish people are just 0.6% of the population in Texas. Not only Jewish people face predicaments like this - Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and others face similar issues of minority religions/faiths.

One way for me to connect to my faith while I am in prison, and also to ensure my health a bit, is to ask for a kosher diet. My friend, Hansom (who has been in prison) told me that Kosher diets get salami (rather than bologna) and I did not grow up eating a lot of pork. I never kept entirely Kosher, but I always kept the Jewish Holidays and was raised on a very Jewish culture including hebrew school and a bat mitzvah. If I want to have a piece of my culture in prison, setting myself up as Kosher from the beginning will establish me with those rights.

I found this Jewish prison website this morning. They are contacting FMC Carswell ahead of my arrival and ensuring that they know a Jewish prisoner wanting a kosher diet is arriving. Texas prisons rarely receive Jewish prisoners and they will likely have to order the kosher food in. The Supreme Court held that all prisoners must have a right to practice their religion in prison, including a kosher diet. I will have access to more fruits and vegetables. No spam, pork/beef bi-products (a favorite of the prison system), and my food will be cleaned according to Kosher law. It is packaged appropriately as well. During the holidays, like Passover, I will be given pre-packaged meals that provide me with Matzoh and hard boiled eggs, etc. According to Hansom, many people who are not Jewish ask for the Kosher diet as well. I guess if you can document a need or a religious belief, you can get it.

Of course, there could be issues along the way. Excuses by the prison on why they can't meet my Kosher diet. The prison chaplain(s) can help with this. They can help with any religious questions/needs you may have. Use them as a resource. I plan to. I'm keeping the faith - including my religious faith. I may not be the most religious person in the world, but I certainly believe in my higher power. I certainly believe having a Kosher diet will help me through my time at Carswell and I thank Hansom for telling me to consider this option! Considered and approved!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: