New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

From Dragonfly: Aproval!!

I have several friends that want to visit me - including Sporty and Survival. Both required the paperwork going to the Warden for approval based on something in their past. I was SOOOOO worried that they would not be approved. Yesterday, I learned both were approved! It took about 3 weeks for their approval (whereas my family was approved within days of their form arriving). Therefore, do not be surprised when some approvals take time, it does not mean they will not be approved! Now, I get to know that Sporty will be flying down and visiting me this weekend - all weekend. Yeah!

We have had a change in guards this week, which has a lot of people in an uproar. The way it works, is that every 3 months, the C.O.'s are assigned to new units. Our new day officer is a female C.O. who has quite the reputation of being a "hard ass." The problem in most inmates eyes seems to be that she follows the rules!! In fact, she expects inmates to do exactly what is in our A&O book. Consequences are severe if we fail.

I have no problem with how this C.O. wants to run the unit. Of course, I don't fail the rules. People have been getting their lockers searched if their rooms are not inspection-ready by 8am. Anything they are not allowed to have, is confiscated. Our craft project permits have to be in order. We have to be in our rooms 30 minutes before count. We cannot use the restrooms while they are being cleaned. We must use the cosmetology department for haircare. If we use a chair, we must put it back where they are stored under the stairs when we are finished. We cannot hang around the front door waiting for the "chow" call, we must be in the open area. We cannot use the irons if it is not our wash day/time. We can't have anyone else do our wash. We cannot go in anyone else's room. We can't scream between the 1st floor and the 2nd floor to get someone's attention. We cannot hog the televisions - if it is not our "time" that we signed up for, we must give the control of the remote to the person who did. We must share and clean the microwave (or it will disappear). There are lots more rules. But, for the most part, I think they are very reasonable! Too bad they can't force people to be kind to one another!!

There are some people in here who spend all their time thinking about life after prison. I have not been doing that. My program has taught me that "one day at a time" is the only way to live and not worry all the time. I must say that it is working. Each morning, I wake up and face my day. At the end of the night, I almost always say out loud, "another day done." Today is my 37th day at Carswell. Each day is unique and requires 100% of my energy. There are people I have met that are kind. I have been teaching myself crochet (with the help of other inmates). I may try and make a scarf (easiest first project), but I'll have to mail it out to someone (we can't keep our craft projects, generally). Survivor sent me a fancy crochet book, that I received yesterday, so now I can learn more than the single stitch. About 5 inmates immediately asked to borrow the book.

I've also been reading A LOT. I read, "Room" in one day. I am just about done with "A Dog's Journey" and know that someone will send me the next book in the 2-book series (hint, hint). When I don't have new books sent, I venture into the library and start something old that I never read. It helps the time go by. I'm also watching television, now that I am housed on the television floor (1st floor). Last night I watched "The Voice." It is the first show, since I've arrived, that everyone seems to laugh together with. Usually our televisions are divided into factions of people - a lot by race. When "The Voice" is on, people from all different backgrounds are watching. I love that!

It's almost time to get to education. I need to borrow some toilet paper off someone because I forgot to keep some on me and we have to carry our own for all restrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: