New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, September 28, 2013

From Dragonfly: Graduation

Tomorrow is graduation day for all the students who have received their GED, cosmetology, ESL, or apprenticeship degrees over the past year. I walked in to class to start teaching this morning and was told that classes were cancelled for today and tomorrow. They don't tell us in advance, ever. This morning, I went through all the classroom materials that I've had no ability to look at since I get almost no time without students in my class. About 10am, I was called into a meeting with the other Education inmate workers.

We have a role in tomorrow's graduation (good to know), but they have not told us our roles yet. Instead, today is the rehearsal. There are probably about 150 inmates graduating. It is treated like a real high school graduation - caps, gowns, grad music, pictures, food, and guests. Today, I will assist inmates in getting their photos ready with a cap and gown on. I don't know if it is the best job for me, since I can't really reach most people's heads. Ha. Every graduating inmate will receive two graduation photos free of charge. The only other "free" photos are our mug shots, so this is a big deal! It is quite the accomplishment for these students to be going through graduation and to be able to walk out of prison with the ability to have access to a career and/or college (depending on their new degree). Yesterday, I talked with one student who hopes to go to a community college when she gets out of here next year and pursue a degree to be an x-ray technician. I believe she will, too!

I meet so many people who tell me they will go right back to their criminal ways upon graduation. It makes me incredibly sad to think that being here has not caused them to believe there is another way in life. It makes me so proud of those who are spending their time here trying to better themselves. I love the joy I hear when they get their GED results. I see their tears if they have a score too low to pass math. This education matters to them. I won't say it's everyone who are in the classes, but definitely a lot of them. I met two women who both graduated from the cosmetology school. Both plan to work in hair salons when they go home. Real direction and a way to support themselves and their children. So wonderful!!

I hate that the staff here think they have no programs for me. I am learning everyday by observing other people and my students. I also officially know how to chain up in crochet and do a single stitch. I have a 10" x 5" crocheted project that can be used for nothing to show for my new skill. I'm a little scared to try to actually make something real. I may try to make something for T.S. for her upcoming birthday in November, but I fear that it will have too many missed stitches and she will just laugh at me... plus we don't have the yarn colors for her school colors... I would need to be creative.

Speaking of the cosmetology school, I may have to make an appointment there after all. I don't think my hair has looked worse in all my life. I'm trying to grow it out, but it pretty much looks like a layered mop on my head. I'm thinking of trimming up the back to let it all grow out together. I'll see what Sporty thinks when she visits this weekend. And, my SIL invited Sporty to dinner Saturday night since she will be in town with nothing to do after visitation ends at 3pm. Everyone in my life always shows me how amazing they are. I am a very fortunate woman, even in my khaki's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: