New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

From Dragonfly: Showers

This week, for the first time since my arrival, we had real rain showers. Many people ran through the rain to get to whatever building they needed. Me, I can't run, so, I walked and was soaked by the time I was at my classroom. We needed the rain - everything was looking very brown outside. The weather was in the 90's and so humid. The rain cooled things off. Most inmates can be seen wearing their sweatpants and/or sweatshirts this weekend. At least in the morning. Then, the sun comes out and it warms up to a good 80-something degrees. Much more reasonable. We are inside so much, however, that the inmates that went out to enjoy the cooler temps yesterday, all got back to the unit sunburned. We all need the natural Vitamin D, though. I didn't have any time outside, due to my visit with SIL, so, at least I am not sunburned!

I figured this was a perfect opening for describing our "other" showers... the ones in the bathrooms. I am pleased to share that all our showers have doors (and most of them lock). Some of the showers are better than others... as they have a hook on the door and do not flood. Newbies (such as myself when I first arrived) will see an available shower, go in, and suddenly be standing in a puddle of water not going down the drain. We learn quickly - that is a bad shower. I try to warn the newest newbies to not use shower #_ or shower #_... Why should everyone have to learn the hard way?
Our toilets are also all behind doors that lock. I am so grateful for the shower and toilet privacy! Also, our cleaning staff are inmates in the unit. They clean our bathrooms/showers several times every day. I wouldn't use a shower without my shower shoes on, but I am not afraid to touch anything. They are clean.

A weird feature of the showers is the height of most of the water spouts. They are about 5' 5" high... I can get under it fine (I'm short), but to do my hair, I'm practically on top of the water handle. For taller women, they need to bend down for their face/hair. I'm not exactly sure of the reason for these low shower heads - which cannot be adjusted - but it certainly may limit the amount of time people are in the shower. I do love that there seems to be unlimited hot water.

Bathrooms are the one place we can be alone behind a door. Now, I only go to such places to do my bathing/bathroom purposes, but at least when I am doing them, I am not concerned about who is looking in or even paying attention to conversations on the other side of my door. I get moments of peace. I never appreciated showers more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: