New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

From Dragonfly: A Decent Day

Every visit is special, but I was really needing one and with Sporty here, we just talked and talked and talked. It was good. I still got tired toward the end, but I was able to take a nap and then go meet up with Lola for some games at inside rec tonight. I'm now back in my unit, showered, and enjoying just walking downstairs to use email. I wish everyday could go by as fast as this day did!!! For those wondering, today's food from the vending machine included french bread pizza and mini tacos. I think tomorrow I may do a ham and cheese hot pocket, although everyone recommends the bacon cheeseburger. I'm reluctant to try it without any fun condiments!

I told Sporty that when I'm home, we are going to be eating in a lot, so let's start collecting recipes. Truth is, I really don't know how to cook well. I lived in one of those homes that food was mostly cooked with the kids out of the kitchen. I never learned about spices or ingredients, I can only follow a recipe. In prison, though, I've actually learned a lot. Although I am starting with processed food items, I add some spices, other foods, and more to make it a more interesting meal. I can make the chicken wraps I make with real chicken breast at home, rather than the packaged chicken I get from commissary. Tuna has always been a staple food for me, but now I make it way yummier, adding in things like vegetable flakes (will be real veggies at home) and other spices, etc. I'm going to cook. That's going to be fun to try and do. Sporty is excited about it, too. It's something we can easily do together. I can, also, invite all my friends over for meals, and they'd actually like the food!!! Cache is a good cook, so I may ask her to teach me a couple great recipes. We will see.

Now that I know that I'm definitely not going to the camp, and that my exit paperwork is being mailed on Monday, I think there is about 50 pounds of stress lifted from my shoulders. Even Lola said that I'm back to my old fun/funny self again. I definitely wanted to go to the camp, get out of the secured FCI environment. However, once that door was officially closed, even for a stupid reason, I could just move to acceptance and start focusing on my remaining time here. Since my case manager had always said that "any day" I could be moved, I'd always had that anxiety... "am I being packed out tomorrow?" "Will I have the opportunity to say goodbye to my friends?" "What will it be like on the other side of the fence?" Well, now I needn't worry. I'm stuck in this pitiful place, but not for too much longer. I still receive such wonderful letters full of love and support from the outside world. I am still surrounded by many wonderful women here, although I do miss South a lot (I haven't heard from her at all). I have so much to be grateful for, even in a place like this.

Tomorrow is another day with Sporty. I think we will try to play a game - we noticed people were checking out UNO and other games today. I said that if we can grab one of the only 4 tables in the room (a new addition, along with the games), we should do a puzzle. That may take us the full 5 hours to complete while we talk. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a decent day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: