New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Monday, March 24, 2014

From Dragonfly: Financials

My incredible friend, Survivor, sent me a breakdown of the finances I have remaining for the two months I am still in prison. So many incredible people donated to help me through this time. I know that many GA friends helped, several of my school friends, and others. I am beyond grateful for all these incredible acts of kindness. When I get home, I will have just a small bit left, but something is left. Without a job, I couldn't make it, but I will have a job. I believe it.

The financials in prison are tricky. We all could certainly survive with much less money. Hygeine, though, is important. Those items can cost an absurd amount of money - even basic shampoo is $5/bottle, deodorant $4, and then there are the other things: allergy pills, conditioner, makeup (for those that need it), aspirin, etc. That side of our commissary sheets is often well checked off. Then there's the expense of phone and email. Everyone prefers one or the other, it seems. I do more on email, friends do more on the phone. In total, it's between $50-$75/month for those forms of communication. Plus, add $10 for a book of stamps. Now, for some, coffee is really important - the basic is like $4, better is nearly $9, and it lasts just a couple weeks. Creamer is another $2 per bottle - lasting about 1 week. Others require soda - $3.30/6 pack, or juice, nearly $1/can. Then there's the food items - packaged meats are between $2-$5, cheeses run around the same, cereal is $4/bag.

My goal is to spend a lot less for my remaining two months here. I am going to stop purchasing the 6 pack of Sprite I get every week. I was drinking one can of Sprite each afternoon (a pep me up without caffeine), but I will just stick to the water I drink the rest of the day. I am, also, limiting any snacks - concentrating on just meals to replace those that I can't/won't eat in chow. This week is a good chow week, I will only have to replace 4 meals, next week, it looks like 6-8 meals. I wish they always had peanut butter and jelly available for those of us who don't like the planned meal, but that's only available there a couple times/week. Often the alternatives are just as bad or worst than the main offerings.

I have to admit, I was an expensive prisoner (or still am). Some receive no funds from the outside world. I see them hustle like crazy, though. As many say, "commissary is necessary." A friend of mine made $180 in commissary and stamps through her laundry/ironing hustle just in the past week. Even those who seem they are doing without, are certainly not. Some jobs pay far more than mine did, and those folks buy out the store just after paydays. Budgeting while in prison is important, and the longer your sentence, the easier it will get in time. We need far less over the months, but a lot more just as we arrive for several months. Sometimes, we need to buy greys or shoes. Sometimes, we need to replace something expensive. It just happens. My most important expense most months is just communicating with the outside world. I know I could have done less, but it's one way I stay centered and connected. I am one of those people who really wanted to stay focused on the world beyond these fences.

I will have to find my way in the world and rebuild my life quickly. I know it is possible and I know I'm capable. Survivor did me such a huge blessing, by maintaining my funds and paying all my bills, while I am incarcerated. She's an angel. I guess I am even high maintenance while in prison, shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: