New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

From Dragonfly: A Turn Around

I realize that I am not quite positively focused in many of my writings. I get caught up in the reality of being in a place like this, facing the daily pressures, and do not look at the good of it all. It's hard, sometimes, I currently have a friend with bleeding kidneys who is over 70 years old and in her bed, wondering what will happen. These images are daily and can bring us down, but we just get together, provide what support we are able to, and go about our days. One day at a time.

Well, I do have something positive to share. I had a nice day yesterday. I would even call it a good day. It started with my daily breakfast with Freckles. We had good conversation and I enjoyed the cereal I brought with me. Then I took a LONG nap - slept until 10am. I have not been feeling the best lately and this was a much needed extra bit of sleep. I made myself peanut butter and jelly on a rice cracker for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it's simplicity (chicken - all dark meat - was in the chow hall). After my quick lunch, I joined Lola on the benches outside, as she is off for an hour before having to go back to work at 12:30pm. However, she informed me that she is off for the full afternoon, so we walked over to the track and walked a couple times around. Both of us fully feeling the effects of our arthritis, we only did two laps. We talked and laughed, often staring at the barbed wire and electric fence that surrounds the track - separating us from the prison camp across the street, and the military base beyond. We watched women from the camp walking onto the base for work. It was an odd weather day - with the temp literally going up and down and back up throughout the day.

After our lunchtime together, we went back to our units to get a pass for "indoor rec." During the week days, we need passes to be anywhere during the mornings/afternoons (other than during lunch/open compound). So, we met at indoor rec and played RummyQue for a while. We, then went to the clinic, so I could obtain my injection, and then went back to the rec center.

I was getting anxious, though. I knew that Sporty was doing me a HUGE favor, while I was playing RummyQue. Sporty made an appointment with my former supervisor, at the job I loved on campus. I had asked Sporty to call her and see if they could meet, to tell my whole story, and to see whether she was still interested in my coming back and/or volunteering. I was nervous. I didn't know what she'd heard about me since I'd left. Did she know that I was no longer a student? Did she never want to work with me again? Was she upset I didn't tell her everything?

Well, before dinner last night, I reached Sporty by phone. They had met for an hour. It went extremely well. My former supervisor misses me. She listened to my story, asked a few questions, and showed compassion. She told Sporty that she'd love to rehire me - as long as I can pass the background check. Luckily, Traveler had already done that favor for me and talked with Human Resources. They will do my background check, my felony will come up, but I can still be hired. It just depends on what the felony is for, all the circumstances, and if my new supervisor is okay with my working there. I don't have anything related to harming children. It still may be a battle - but I've fought harder ones and I'm prepared for any.

So, here's where that leaves me. If I can get back into school, which I will, I have funding while working with this organization on campus. It pays for my tuition, fees, health care coverage, and a living stipend. Knowing that I have a graduate research assistantship available to me, provides me with the piece of mind that all I need is to get back in, I don't also have to seek funding. This will also provide me with EXCELLENT health coverage, so I can return to all my same doctors and continue the care I was receiving in the outside world. My goal is to at least be admitted, possibly without a specific program, by the fall semester. Over the fall, I will apply to appropriate programs, and be able to continue my coursework, before I am actually fully admitted on the time lines of the programs. I'll have my work cut out for me, but I believe I can do it! Anything is possible and I know that I am ready for the hoops I will soon have to jump through on campus. Nothing can compare to what I've had to do here. This place has prepared me for any roadblocks I face in the future.

So, I was all smiles at dinner (a good turkey meal) and games after. We played tri-ominoes. It was fun. I couldn't be more grateful for Sporty going out on a lurch for me and it will not be forgotten how incredible she has been through my entire incarceration. She, along with so many others, have helped me to know that I am loved and supported.

My main goal after games was to figure out how to keep track of the NCAA basketball games being played. I wanted to know how several teams were doing - I never bet sports, I wouldn't even care to know how - but, I've always been a basketball fan - women's and men's bball. Taz lent me her radio and I was excited to find a station entirely dedicated to the NCAA. I was able to listen to several parts of different games, before I drifted off to sleep. I didn't know the final scores for the last games, but was able to know that several great teams from the Midwest were moving forward.

Yep, it was a good day. My life is so "rich" with special people in my life. I definitely have my low moments, but I need to celebrate the high moments. Yesterday was one of those days - exactly 60 days and a wake up from my release to home confinement. I have a feeling these last two months are going to actually move along quickly. I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: