New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

From Dragonfly: A Whole Bunch of Goodies

Yesterday, I received a package from a friend that I wasn't expecting. It had four books in it: a journal, a cross stitch book, a guide on getting out of prison, and a fun quick-read book for adults by "little golden books." It was such a nice present. What's great about things like this, is that I not only am happy receiving them, but I get to share with others. I think I made four sad people smile with the "little golden book," and I allowed someone who is leaving tomorrow borrow the guide for what to do when we are first out of prison. Someone who is really into cross-stitch already asked if she can photo-copy a cross-stitch pattern of a large butterfly that is in the cross stitch...

I just took a couple hour break from writing. As I was putting together the last sentence, I heard the voice of a friend say to someone, "I need med-surge, I can't breathe." I quickly got off the computer to assist her. She has really, really bad asthma. It's the worst I've ever seen on someone. She can have an attack sleeping, walking, anything. She was unable to breathe in and was coughing if she tried. She fell to the floor and sat against a pillar. I just sat there, telling her to take short breaths, but to try to breathe, while we waited for help to arrive. It took a couple minutes for a couple nurses to arrive with a medical bed to move her. Another friend was searching the unit for the emergency wheelchair, but someone borrowed it to sit in during pill line. That's the way it is here. I'm sure my friend will be alright. They usually send people back from med-surge within a couple hours. She isn't back yet, but it's only been 3 1/2 hours. I'm sure she's getting a breathing treatment. I guess they recently changed her medication. She's been telling me that it's not working. Poor thing. When she is back, and laying on her bed (an upper bunk!!), I will let her read the "little golden book," I know she will smile while reading it. It's just too cute not to.

Anyway, I suppose some people keep everything they receive for themselves. They just want to cherish the gifts and the people who sent them. I know that the people who send me my gifts are happy that I enjoy them, but also that I share them with people who may not receive anything. I have friends who never receive any mail. It's very sad. They sit waiting and hoping their name will be called, or they just stay in their bed, knowing that their name will not be called. Everyday at mail call, I start to take the stairs slowly, knowing that it is very likely that my name will be called more than once; at least one time for the newspaper, and additional times for any letters/cards/packages I may receive. I am very grateful for everything I receive and I am also very glad that my friends would be happy that they make other people happy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: