New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Monday, March 17, 2014

From Dragonfly: Inmate Recalls

There are the set inmate recalls - the ones at 9:30am (weekends), 10:30am (weekdays), 3:30pm, and 8:30pm. We have to immediately go back to our housing units at that time (unless we are on the "out count" due to work or something like that). Sometimes we have to go right to our rooms to stand count, sometimes it is just to get us into our units. However, when there is an "emergency," one we are usually unaware of, we hear "inmate recall... all inmates are to return to their housing units immediately... inmate recall," and where ever we are, whatever we are doing, we must stop, turn in any equipment we have, and immediately find our way back to our units. These kinds of "emergencies" maybe happen once every so often, perhaps 1-2x in a month; except lately...

Just this past three days, we have had three major recalls. Each left us in our rooms for hours, wondering what was going on. Two resulted in several "emergency" counts. Once, we were counted 6x within an hour, by 4 staff members. Usually, only gossip guides us on why we were called back to our units and what is leading to the counts. Last night, I believe it was because all the lights on the compound went out, so they wouldn't have been able to see us, but it could be something else, and that was just occurring at the same time. Two days ago, a suspicious package showed up in the mail room... all is fine, now, but the rumors were going crazy about the package and its contents. Sometimes, a recall is because someone is being moved out of "super max" to somewhere else for whatever reason. Super max is housed in its own building behind where my housing unit is. I've never seen anyone except staff coming/going to there. A couple people I know have done "suicide watch" for inmates in there, but I really know nothing of the place.

When there is an inmate recall that is unexpected, many inmates follow the rules and find their ways to their rooms, and either lay down or pick up a book or do something productive. Others, however, cause trouble, unable to be contained during a time that should be more free. They yell out obnoxious things, dance/sing silly to make other inmates laugh, ask crazy questions to the staff, or just refuse to stay put in their room, even though they are being told to stay there. There are no doors, so if someone wants to just walk to the restroom, they can. I can't tell you how often we hear, "who's in the bathroom?" by staff who are pissed that someone left their room. Of course, it is a medical facility, and we are one of the medical units, so people happen to be taking pills that may make holding off the restroom very difficult, but still, many people just don't like to follow rules.

I am a rule follower. If I have to go to the restroom while we are "racked up" in our rooms, I always ask permission of the staff. I usually sit and read or do a puzzle magazine when we are racked up, trying at the same time to hear the gossip about what's going on. I can't help but be curious - I've always been curious and I love solving a mystery. My roommates and I will contemplate what we think is happening and look out our window at anything suspicious or different happening on the compound while we are locked in our units. Sometimes, we use good deductive reasoning and pretty much can figure things out before some of the others near us, so they ask us our opinions on what is going on. No idea if our "guess" is right. We are usually never told by staff the full story.

I'm hoping as I face this Sunday, that we have no "special" recalls today. I like the fact that during the day, the unit is quieter, while so many inmates enjoy the mild weather we are having. Sometimes I go to indoor rec, or to the track at outdoor rec. I've even started doing some arm exercises with 2 lb. weights (got to start somewhere and my joints are very weak). I also have started walking the track with Lola. We both have arthritis, so we walk fairly slow, but around we go and it's good for us. So, I do hope there's no unanticipated recalls today. I want to enjoy a day of quiet and serenity as much as I can in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: